Students nationwide speak on changes

Hannah Witteman

Within the past couple of weeks, schools from all over the state of Ohio have been canceling face-to-face classes for the remainder of the semester.

However, the cancelations don’t stop at Ohio. Schools around the United States have also been canceling for the well-being of the school and their students.

“I got the email that we had switched to online classes around March 12,” Michigan State University student Julia Shepstone said. “We were told that if we moved out by Easter, we would be reimbursed for the rest of our housing expenses.”

Some students may find moving classes online may be more beneficial for them, but others disagree.

“I thrive in a more structured environment so this uncertainty is hurting my learning. My clinical instructors have moved to online simulations and care plans but we don’t know if this will actually get approved by the Ohio Board of Nursing,” Case Western Reserve student Megan Johnson said.

The coronavirus has made some state officials close down many events and stores like shopping malls, bakeries and concerts planned to take place in the summer. Some states have even been put on lockdown.

“My state [Los Angeles, California] is in lockdown so I haven’t left my house except to go for a run around my neighborhood or a walk on the nearby beach. Whenever I come in the house, I take off my shoes and go straight to the shower and wash my clothes,” Johnson said.

Study abroad students have also been ordered to come back to the states and are advised that a two week self-quarantine may be beneficial.

In February, University of Northern Colorado student Kate Meyer was abroad in Chengdu, China and came back to the states when the virus began to spread more rapidly.

She participated in a self-quarantine when she arrived home and continues to participate in precautions to help stop the spread of COVID-19.

“Some of those things are not leaving my house, not coming in close contact with people if I leave and eating at home more. I think it is important for everyone to do it,” Meyer said. “I have seen what happens if people don’t take precautions first hand. We are all in this together and need to work together to stop it.”

If you or someone you know may be experiencing symptoms of the coronavirus, please contact health officials near you.