Black Student Alliance and greek life host National Pan-Hellenic Council Divine Nine information session

Chante Rutherford, Reporter

Black Student Alliance and Fraternity & Sorority Life hosted the NPHC Divine Nine information meeting on October 24. This meeting was open for those who were interested in the creation of new chapters on campus for historically black fraternities and sororities.

Many students were in attendance to the night meeting which featured a lecture and question and answer session. Three speakers were in there to inform the students on the history, the influence, and the impact of starting this new council and new chapters on Ashland’s campus.

Lenroy Jones, Executive Director of Career Services, and Dustin Hoffman, head of Fraternity and Sorority Life, lead the event.

Jones, who is also a life member of the fraternity Kappa Alpha Psi, gives a personal side to him joining a black greek organization when attending Central Michigan University.

“Starting charters here on campus is necessary for the younger generation,” he said.

Special guest speaker, Jeff Mitchell, member of Omega Phi Psi from University of Kentucky class of 2018, explained the importance of finding the organization that fits you and your morals.

“Pick an organization and do your research,” Mitchell said. “Don’t join a specific one just because of a family member. Stay true to yourself.”

Darnell Cannon, freshman, and president of the Black Student Alliance said he is excited to see black greek organizations come to Ashland.

“There are many things that these organizations believe in as they went through discrimination in the Jim Crow era. Brotherhood, integrity, scholarship, community and much more,” Cannon said. “I want to be apart of the African American community to make a difference.”

Sophomore Arzhane’ Gray sees joining a black sorority as a “legacy.” Gray’s family are apart of black greek organizations and loves the unity that comes with it.

“There are times where you head into public and see women and men who you can go back and share memories and friendship with,” she said.

As of now, there are two different organizations that could possibly become charters in 2019: the fraternity Alpha Phi Alpha and sorority Alpha Kappa Alpha.