AU G.I.V.S. program takes a new approach

Luqman Tarouti

Ashland University’s volunteer organization Ashland University Get Involved with Volunteer Service (AU G.I.V.S) is changing the way their organization works.

The organization has been restructured to serve the community better and adequately communicate “Calls for Action” to students that have a passion for different areas of service, senior Jessica Dutko, AU G.I.V.S. intern said.

“The old system we did not have the teams, and that is what we have been having just years prior. The issue that we ran into with that, there were a couple, and that the students were signing up and they did not have the heart, they did not want to volunteer,” Dutko said. “They were volunteering because they had to as part of being in some organizations on campus.”

The new structure gives students six teams to choose from, and they can join one or all six of them. The first team is the Unity team, which helps serve non-profits in the Ashland area and the second is the Senior Citizens team which helps to brighten the day of the residents at the Good Shepherd Nursing Home.

The P.A.W. team will take care of local animals in the Ashland County Dog Shelter and the fourth team, the U.S. Service Members team, will help support troops, veterans and local heroes through various activities.

Finally, the Hunger Relief and Homelessness team will both help spread awareness and diminish the problem of hunger and poverty in Ashland County. The last team to join is the the youth team, which allows students to be mentors and role models to youth in the city through various fun opportunities.

Over 100 students on campus are currently involved with AU G.I.V.S.Commitment as an active general member of AU G.I.V.S. requires eight hours of community service through AU G.I.V.S. sponsored events each semester.

Students who are now in trouble and have to do community service cannot do it through the program, Dutko said.

They will have to go through a different department, where they are given work that is a bit harder.

“The university used to implement community service, and we did not like that because it really gives a negative commendation to community service. It should be something from the heart,” Dutko said. “A consequence for getting in trouble here on campus should not be playing with dogs. That is not what it is about.”

The organization’s mission is to provide meaningful service opportunities locally, nationally and even globally in an effort to encourage social responsibility, community involvement, and thoughtful action.

Dutko encourages students to join AU G.I.V.S. and mentioned that to join them, visit: www.ashland.edu/student-affairs/getting-involved/community-service# and then click on “Join an AU G.I.V.S. Service Team” to pick the teams you want to join and get involved.