Rugby team coming off best season in the history of the program

By Ryan Sampson

The Ashland University Men’s Club Rugby team is coming off its best season in the history of the program, finishing the fall season undefeated as Division II State Champions. The team is compiled of numerous athletes that decided to stay competitive after high school. Matthew Lioi, a sophomore out of Canton, Ohio, has emerged as one of the leaders on the team.

Lioi has evolved as a rugby player in the past year, moving into a different position after his freshman year. Lioi had never played rugby before coming to Ashland. He and his twin brother Andrew played soccer and wrestled at Glen Oak High School. Lioi got the idea of playing rugby from his uncle. Lioi came out to the team’s practices and immediately started in the first game, playing at the wing position.

After his freshman year, he stepped up into a bigger role on the team, which demanded more responsibilities as a player. Lioi is now the team’s fly-half, which is basically the quarterback of the back players. Lioi calls his own plays for his group of players on the field and he makes the initial pass for every play in the game.

“Our team may not be the most technically sound,” Lioi said. “However, we are very athletic and fast, and we always outwork the opposing team, which leads to us scoring more.”

Lioi accounts a lot of the success to the seniors on the team.

“With Tyler Eaton and Kyle Buchanan, they aren’t the most vocal leaders, but they lead by example and some of the younger guys watch them and try to make themselves better,” he said.

Last fall was the first ever championship for the Ashland Rugby team, and Lioi recognized how special the game was to him and the team.

“The atmosphere was great, and the best part was that we won the championship against our rival, John Carroll.”

The men will look to continue their success this season when they start playing spring ball this weekend in a rematch of the championship game against John Carroll.