AU baseball Head Coach John Schaly coaches 2000th career game

The Eagles sit an a record of 16-3 on the 2023-24 season
Coach Schaly stands on the field. (Retrieved from the Ashland Times-Gazette)

It has been a busy week for the Ashland University baseball team. First, this past Wednesday, March 20, Eagle Head Coach John Schaly coached his 2000th career game as a collegiate head coach.

“It just means I have been around a long time,” said Schaly. “I have had a lot of great assistant coaches, and I love being a part of these kids’ lives.”

The game resulted in win No. 1,285 as the No. 14-ranked Eagles moved to 13-2 with a 17-9 victory over Notre Dame College.

This is the best 15-game start in 22 years since 2002 with a 13-2 record even with a shorthanded Eagles team losing starting first baseman Sam Witt.

“Obviously Sam is a great player, one of our top hitters, we were going to miss him, but our guys have stepped up and it has shown in the games,” said Schaly.

Witt has still supported the team even while being unable to be on the field.

“It is unfortunate that the injury happened, but I believe everything happens for a reason, we have a really special team, and it was awesome to be a part of it in the beginning,” he said.

“It is pretty amazing to see someone so involved in baseball to be successful for as long as he has been with 2000 games.”

The Eagles in their first Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC) matchup against Lake Erie resulted in three out of 4 wins with scores of 4-3, 7-9,7-1, and 6-3 to move the Eagles to 16-3 overall and 3-1 in the GMAC.

Next up for the Eagles is a non-conference game vs. Slippery Rock on Tuesday, March 26 at home with a 3 p.m. start time.