Klaira Paramore: Navigating Challenges, Striving for Excellence, and Conquering the Fairways

Paramore is a great example of the power of self-discovery and determination
Paramore competes for the Eagles in a competition.
AU Athletics

In the game of golf, sophomore Klaira Paramore is a great example of the power of self-discovery and determination, as every stroke in the game conveys a story of commitment and strength.

Over the course of her life, Paramore has faced obstacles and advanced in her personal development. Her early years were spent swinging clubs, and her most recent accomplishments have been on the collegiate stage.

“I’ve played golf for as long as I can remember,” Paramore reflects, tracing the roots of her passion for the game. “But it wasn’t until high school that I started competing competitively. Initially, I didn’t envision playing golf in college, but after finding success in high school, I changed my mind.”

Paramore’s commitment for her hometown community had a major role in her decision to enroll at Ashland University.

“I’ve lived in Ashland all my life, and I’ve been a fan of AU athletics since I was a kid,” she explains. The opportunity to represent her community on the collegiate stage was a dream come true for Paramore.

Paramore’s path hasn’t been without difficulties, though. She struggled with performance demands throughout high school and her first year of college, and it took a toll on her mental health.

“Golf became my identity, and the highs and lows were extreme,” she says. “I found myself in dark places when I didn’t meet my own standards, especially during my freshman year when I felt like I was letting everyone down.”

In an effort to rediscover her love of the game and put her mental health first, Paramore consulted a sports psychologist.

“It was one of the hardest but best decisions I’ve made,” she recalls. “Now, I have the coping skills to navigate the ups and downs of golf with a healthier perspective.”

Her perseverance was tested when Paramore placed first in the Kentucky Tournament on Sunday (March 24).

“Getting that first win was very special for me. It was a turning point in how I approach the game. Now, I focus on continuous improvement and setting new goals, rather than letting wins and losses define me.”

When Paramore thinks back on her journey from the start, joy and thankfulness fill her. She says, “I’ve come so far, especially mentally.” “I’m proud of the progress I’ve made, and I’m excited about the opportunities ahead, including our chance to make the regional tournament this year.”

As Klaira Paramore continues to navigate the highs and lows of collegiate golf, she inspires her peers and teammates by showing them that everything is possible, both on and off the golf course, with self-awareness and perseverance.