Mailiis Simovart: Teeing Up Memories and Friendship  

As she embarks on her collegiate golf career, she states to “stay grateful and grounded”

A senior at Ashland University, Mailiis Simovart stands out in the serene realm of golf, where accuracy meets dedication. She treasures the friendships she’s formed along the way in addition to being a fantastic golfer. With the Ashland Eagles women’s golf team about to embark on its final season, Mailiis reflects on her progression from beginner to collegiate golfer. She discusses her passion for the game of golf and how her teammates have impacted it.  

“I started playing when I was about 12, in seventh grade,” Mailiis says, thinking back on her early years. “I didn’t play any other sports, so when I started to get better at golf, I started to enjoy it more.”  

Simovart developed a strong desire to get better at golf and it grew to be more than a hobby.  

“I had fun with my high school teammates, so I really enjoyed being part of a team,” she says.  

Despite obstacles, such as a stress fracture she sustained in high school, Mailiis found strength in the encouragement of her teammates.  

“The best part about playing in high school and college has been the teammates I’ve had,” she said. “You meet so many people playing golf, and I’ve made friends with teammates in college who I never would’ve met otherwise.”  

Among her favorite memories is a round she played during her sophomore year. 

“It was in Florida on our spring break trip,” she recalls. “My teammates watched me finish the last hole, and they all hugged me because they knew it was a really good round for me. Those moments, feeling supported by my teammates, are what I remember most.”  

When deciding on a college to attend, choosing AU was an easy decision for Mailiis, thanks to the coach who recruited her and the campus she loved. 

“I knew I wanted to play in college about halfway through high school,” she explains. “Ashland was my only golf offer, but I liked the coach and campus, and they have a great accounting program, which I’m studying.”  

Mailiis wants to keep getting better as she approaches her final season.  

“I’m most excited about the memories I’ll make with my teammates on our last trips together,” she says. “And I want to keep my scoring average as good as last year’s. Every year since freshman year I have decreased my average a little bit, so I would like to continue that trend to end my career.” 

Even though Simovart is about to conclude her collegiate golf career, her influence on Ashland University and her teammates extends beyond the game. She makes an impression on everyone she encounters with her commitment, positive attitude, and love for her colleagues. 

“Don’t be too hard on yourself if you don’t play well,” Mailiis encourages other athletes as she reflects on her career. “Remember that playing sports is supposed to be fun, and college sports are a unique experience. Stay grateful and grounded.”