Italy trip follows biblical journey

By Teresa Williams

During Spring Break, 28 Ashland University students traveled to Italy and discovered the numerous sights and attractions in Florence, Assisi and Rome.

The trip to Italy served as the study-abroad element of the course “The Legacy of Paul and Peter in Italy” created by Dr. David Aune.

Over the span of 10 days from March 2 to March 11, students visited Florence for two days and Assisi for one day. They also spent four days touring Rome and its surrounding areas. The group leaders were David and Adam Sparks of “Footstep Ministries.”

While in Italy, students saw many famous buildings and sights of the country. For example, they explored the Duomo church located in Florence. The Ponte Vecchio and the Academia Museum were additional stops.

Participants also enjoyed seeing the Pope during their trip. They sat in front-row seats in the outdoors as they watched him speak.

In addition, the group saw churches in the area, including those of St. Clare and St. Francis of Assisi. Likewise, they experienced the St. Peter’s Basilica and the church of St. John Lateran. The group traveled to the Vatican Museum as well.

“My favorite part of the trip was going to the Vatican where we saw the Pope, St. Peter’s Basilica and the Vatican Museum,” Dan Mitchell said.

Besides touring these landmarks, they also went on a Coliseum tour and witnessed the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill. Additionally, they received the opportunity to view the Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon.

“My favorite part of the trip was simply the immersion in the Italian culture. It is a beautiful country full of beautiful people and rich history,” Candice McAfee said. “I enjoyed learning about the ancient history of the country and standing in areas where great saints and even Christ spent time.”

After seeing these sights, the students spent their free day at Ostica Antica touring an archeological site. Other individuals decided to go to a beach located off the coast of Italy.

The week concluded with a stop at the Catacombs. The group then proceeded to the Basilica of St. Paul where they heard closing reflections from the book of Romans.

Ultimately, the trip provided numerous benefits for the participants.

“I went on the trip because I knew I had to put myself in situations that were completely out of my comfort zone,” Lindsay Arron said. “I wanted to embrace an entirely different culture and it was well worth it.”

Mitchell also valued the opportunity to see historical monuments in Italy.

“I chose to go on this trip because I have an interest in Rome and Italy and I would be able to see places I have learned about for many years,” Mitchell said.

Additionally, the experience allowed participants time to bond and know one another.

“One of my favorite parts of the trip was when a group of us got lost in Rome,” Arron said. “Some people were frustrated, but I thought it just displayed the community we had with each other. I loved it.”