Five ways to make this year count

By Melanie Sudar

It’s that time again: the first day of school. For some, it’s the first time at Ashland University, let alone the first time in college. For others it’s the second or third time; and for still others it’s the last day. The last first day of school; the last fall semester; the last spring semester; the last last day of school. The last of a lot of things. Daunting isn’t it? Yeah, I was pretty freaked out when I thought about it, too. But don’t worry. I’ve thought of some ways to make this year count – whether it’s your first, last, or somewhere in between.

Have a goal. What is your plan for this year? To graduate? To get a higher GPA? Or just to survive? Whatever your goal is, stick to it. When things get tough – and believe me they will – keep this goal in the back of your mind and remember that it all someday be worth it. Every late night, every missed party, every hour spent studying, every paper, every crappy professor – it will all be worth it.

Have fun. Don’t get too stressed. Having a goal is important, but having some fun is important, too. Everyone needs an outlet: find one. Don’t spend all of your time studying and doing homework – you’ll go crazy.

Get involved. Do something other than homework. Like I said, everyone needs an outlet. There are many things on campus that you can get involved with – find one. I promise it will make your year so much better if you find something that you enjoy.

Get involved with your major. The whole reason you chose your major was because, hopefully, you enjoy it. Join a club that your major offers. This will not only allow you to make friends in your major, but it will also give you something to do with your passion other than classes and homework.

Be spontaneous. Some of the best times are those that aren’t planned. Do something you’ve never done. You’ll never been younger than you are right now. Embrace it. Have fun. Be silly. You’re in college – you never get another freshman year; another sophomore year; another junior year; and definitely not another senior year.

College is supposed to be the best four years of your life – this is when you find yourself, and it’s never too late. Enjoy every second of being here – there are going to be times when it sucks, but it’s all experience.