The Now & How Journal: Lucky for you 

Prompt #5 Can you think of a time in your life when you were lucky? 
Lauren Gulden
My birthday cake last year on the lucky day 

Since we’re entering March, I’ve been thinking a lot about the concept of luck. 

When it comes to luck, some people don’t believe in it. Some say, ‘Everything happens for a reason!’, or ‘Your results reflect your effort’. I like to believe in a little bit of all the above. I think luck goes hand in hand with noticing your luckiness, or for a better word, gratitude.   

In my journal, ever so often I like to catch myself in the business of life and list out what I call my “excitements”. In my lingo, these are either things that are happening to me or things I hope will happen to me. The purpose of this exercise is to remind myself of what I loved so much about certain times in my life while reading old entries.  

While reminiscing on old pages, I read one that struck my attention just in time for this issue.  

On March 14, 2023, I wrote,  

“I felt so loved. I was in a car full of people I had no idea I would meet when I turned 18. We walked in our town and went to a pizza place where our table was all set up for us. . . It all meant so much to me. Even though they didn’t really know each other, my friends all held conversations and we were present. I couldn’t have asked for a better nineteenth celebration.”  

I felt incredibly lucky on that day, my nineteenth birthday, my first birthday away from home. In my writing, I wrote more details on the day, diving into how I had no idea how it would look if you had asked me about it a year in advance. I was awestruck by how special I felt with my friends and my newfound life in college.  

The prompt for this pretty, green month is, “Can you think of a time in your life when you were lucky?” Within these weeks, take some time to write down what you’re happy with, grateful for, anything and everything that’s felt lucky. Good things are all around, they just take notice.