Volleyball drops two more: Eagles travel home in search of first win

Kate Lentz

Sept. 12 @ Findlay : L 3-1

Coming off of a 0-4 record after the Concordia-St. Paul tournament, the Ashland University Eagles went into their first GLIAC match, against the University of Findlay Oilers, with hopes to turn the tables in their favor. 

Although the Eagles did take the first set of the match, 25-23, that did not stop Findlay from stepping on the gas and taking the last three sets, 17-25, 15-25, 9-25, coming out on top. 

“Findlay is a great team, can’t take anything away from them,” said AU Head Coach Cass Dixon.  “They came out and they were really strong from start to finish,” 

“We’re working on getting mentally tougher everyday, bouncing back, and being able to maintain our composure when things don’t actually go our way all the time.”

Dixon said that a positive from the match was that the team knows their ability. 

“When we went out and played strong the first set, they know what they are capable of, its just a matter of maintaining that,” Dixon said.

Sophomore captain Casey Clark recorded her second double-double with 11 kills and 13 digs. 

“We’re very young as a whole from top to bottom,” Dixon said.

“When you have six freshmen, six sophomores, three juniors and one senior and even those incoming with some collegiate experience, you’re young no matter what.” 

Middle blocker Sam Zuber had four blocks on the night, three of which were solo. 

Zuber joined the team in 2013 and is now in her second year with the Eagles.  

“Our youth that got experience last year, it’s different. They didn’t have to be the leaders; they could go out and just do. But now, that youth has to go do and lead at the same time,” Dixon said. 

The Oilers had two hitters in double digits, sophomores Hannah Tong and Andrea Roach, with 11 and 10 kills respectively. 

Amanda Calhoun led the defense with 13 digs. 

It is early in the GLIAC season, however, and the team has yet to play at home. 

Dixon feels that this was a much better match in terms of bouncing back. 

“It’s not where we want to be yet, but we’re doing a better job.” 

Sept. 13 @ Hillsdale: L 3-0

The second opponent of the weekend for the Eagles came on Saturday as they traveled to Michigan to take on the Hillsdale Chargers with more hopes of a win to bring back home. 

The Eagles fell three straight sets, 15-25, 22-25, 21-25.

“Even though we didn’t win a set, I actually think from top to bottom, we played more composed for longer periods of time, we fought a lot more and battled for points,” Dixon explained. ”Hillsdale has a long history of success and they were very much on point with what they needed to do in their game plan.”

Sophomores Alli Cudworth and Casey Clark both had nine kills on the night, contributing to sophomore Katie Siefert’s 25 assists. 

“At various times, there are various different people who stand out. So far, both Clark and Cudworth have been the most constant on the left side for us,” shares Dixon.

Freshman Jennifer Vander Meer made an appearance for the defensive side of the Eagles against the Chargers, leading the team with 11 digs.

When asked about team chemistry, Coach Dixon shared positive remarks. 

“Team chemistry is definitely good off the court, and its good on the court. You always know you have a transition period for your incoming players. Sometimes it takes two days, two weeks, or two months. 

“When everybody can be themselves out on the court and play comfortable next to each other on the court, the chemistry will take off.”

Something that is new to incoming players is the idea of scouting reports. 

“Its an eye-opening experience,” Dixon shares, “When you’re in high school and club [volleyball], you’re watching things but you don’t have the same capabilities or advantages of pulling video. Developing a game plan, inputting it in practice and then implementing in matches can be challenging.” 

A major role on a volleyball team is a setter and the Eagles have two underclassmen taking over that role, sophomore Katie Siefert and freshman Jaqueline Tanguay. In addition to getting them in sync with the team as a whole, it is very necessary for the setters and hitters to be in sync.

“It’s a working progress. It takes a while to develop that consistency and trust, especially with your first tempo hitters such as middle and right side. Its easier for outside hitters, but it is something that we work on everyday in practice,” Dixon said.

If you want to see the Eagles in action, the first home game of the season will be Friday, September 19, 2014 at 7pm in Kate’s Gymnasium against Michigan Tech. If you cannot attend, tune into 88.9 WRDL for a live broadcast of the game.