AU eSports CS:GO team finds 2-1 win against Appalachian State University

The Eagles start the 2023 fall season with a 1-0 overall record
William Currier
The Eagles take on Appalachian State in an online CSGO tournament.

The Ashland University Counter-Strike: Global Offensive team won their first event of the season against Appalachian State University 2-1.

This opening contest would start the Eagles off with early success, going 1-0 in the opening week of the season.

The first team to get to 16 rounds won the opening map, and for the two sides, the map was played on Nuke. The Eagles started the first map rough, losing the first half of the map set, 9-6. 

To start the second half, the Eagles looked to make a comeback on the pistol round. Winning this round would give the Eagles an advantage going forward. However, the Eagles fell short, and Appalachian State maintained their lead until the finish of the contest.  

At the end of the first map, the final score was 16-9 in favor of Appalachian State, and the Eagles were looking to rebound on the next map, Overpass.   

“Even with the first game jitters I still had a lot of high hopes,” said Team Captain Seth Ho after the first map.

The map, Overpass, started in a back and forth brawl between the two sides, but similar to the first map, the first half ended 9-6, but this time it was on the Eagle’s side.  

The second half started with the Eagles losing the pistol round, but the Eagles bit back, leading 12-7 at one point in time.  

Appalachian State answered back and tied the game 12-12 in rounds. At this point, the Eagles needed to check their mental focus, and lower the stress levels. 

After restarting their mental focus, the Eagles won the second map tieing the series count at 1-1. The next map decided the winner of the outing.

Map three was Vertigo, and the first half started strong again in a 9-6 lead for the Eagles. However with the second half underway, the Eagles won the pistol round yet again which would be a difference maker going forward.

It was yet another nail biter towards the tail end of the outing as the Eagles lead the game 12-11, but in the end, the Eagles gave one final blow and snowballed their way into winning the third map 16-12. 

“With Seth and Leo’s leadership, the communication during the game was night and day,” said Graduate Assistant eSports Coach, Caleb Crowley.  

The Ashland University CS:GO team looks forward to their next contest as they take on Texas A&M on Friday, Sept. 22.  

“Good Game to Appalachian State, you guys put up a fight, but like I said, don’t peek me,” said Ho.