Spanish Club leaves a legacy of culture on campus

Submitted by: Tyler Easton

Spanish club members selling bracelets crafted by Nicaraguan and Guatemalan artisans for the Pulsera Project.

Katie Harrigan

Despite the recent decision to sunset foreign language majors on campus, the Ashland University Spanish Club remains active and committed to sharing the culture and language with others.

“We want the club to continue even after foreign language majors don’t exist on campus anymore, and that raises a challenge to create a foundation that will leave our desired legacy” Spanish Club president, Tyler Easton said. “This year, we want to lean more into language instruction and empower students to continuously improve their competency.”

Easton said the Spanish Club is enriching skills by combining language practice, cultural activities and co-sponsored events with other school organizations such as UNIDAD and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion to engage more students. 

“I hope that with every meeting and event, a welcoming, educational and passionate community is fostered where members feel they belong and play an active role within. I want members to walk away from a session inspired, knowledgeable and eager to learn more,” Easton said.

The Spanish Club creatively informs others about Hispanic culture through various mediums including art, literature, cooking, film, television and more.

“Last year we worked with the Pulsera Project to sell bracelets made by artisans from different countries. I would love to do more things to help spread the Spanish culture on campus,” social media manager, Kyleen Culler said. “In the past, we have made different drinks and played games to learn about the culture within the club.”

Spanish club members making empanadas as part of “Pura Vida Week” (Submitted by: Tyler Easton)

Spanish Club allows everyone to exercise and enhance their communication abilities in an accepting environment. 

Culler said Spanish Club is a comfortable space because you learn and interact entirely with peers rather than a professor which could be a little more intimidating to some.

“There are many moments in Spanish Club where I struggle with speaking Spanish, however, the leadership and other members are very patient with me and if I ever need help with how to say something, they are always there to help me,” Culler said.

Culler Recalls one of her favorite memories being a trip to Fiesta Charra where the club sat at a Spanish table and spoke the language for the entire dinner. This allowed students to get out and practice Spanish in a place that was off school grounds.

You do not have to speak Spanish to be part of the club. Everyone is welcome to participate in their meetings Wednesdays at 6:15 p.m. on Zoom. 

Spanish club members at Dia de los Muertos in Cleveland, Ohio. (Submitted by: Tyler Easton)

“Spanish Club creates an outlet for discussion and further learning outside the classroom. It’s a tangible space where all students, regardless of proficiency level, can interact and learn from each other,” Easton said. 

Those interested in the foreign language can study Spanish at a steady pace in a patient and supportive space.

“It [Spanish Club] has honestly done so much for me personally. There is a huge difference from learning Spanish on your own and coming to the club and learning more about the language and culture with others” Culler said. 

If you would like to sign up for Spanish Club, message their Instagram account @au_spanishclub.