Groups of Community of Belonging and Excellence on AU’s campus host Excellence Ball 

The last day to buy tickets is Wednesday, Feb. 21 in the Hawkins-Conard Student Center
A picture capturing individuals from the 2023 Excellence Ball.

Ashland University’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion organizations, DEI, plan to host its third annual Celebration of Excellence Ball on Saturday, Feb. 24 from 1 to 3 p.m. in Redwood Hall. 

Black Student Alliance, Women of Excellence, Eagles for Pride and UNIDAD are hosting a fundraiser ball to raise money in support of Proyecto Mariposa Foundation, a Latino girlhood group that focuses on supporting mother and daughter relationships. 

“Usually we let the organizations decide [the community to support],” said Ashley Speight, president of BSA and treasurer of WOE. “The first year we did a Black organization and the second year we did it was an LGBTQ+ organization. We usually try to stick to organizations within Ohio so that way they can come to the ball and see what we did.” 

The four groups will be creating gift baskets to auction off will all proceeds going to this year’s organization.  

“We have ball meetings, and we decide what type of raffle baskets we want to do. For example, BSA is more than likely doing a game night basket and we buy the games out of our own budget within the organizations. We have a minimum and maximum [of what can be spent],” Speight said.  

According to Speight, other organizations can donate raffle baskets as well. 

“Other organizations if they want to can reach out to do the ball with us or to give back in some way. They can donate a raffle basket or anything like that,” Speight said.  

The event will feature speakers from each of the DEI clubs, a speaker from Proyecto Mariposa Foundation, music, food and pictures. 

“It’s important to give back to your community. I feel like it’s so easy to give back to your community, so why not just do it? You get something out of it, and you know your money is going to a good cause,” Speight said.  

The last day to buy tickets is Wednesday, Feb. 21 in the Hawkins-Conard Student Center.