Kaltenbaugh’s role in COBE

Christine Jenkinson, AU-LIVE BREAKING NEWS REPORTER

In the third part of our COBE series, we focus on the marketing, hospitality management, fashion merchandising and sport management department.

Dr. Lance Kaltenbaugh, associate professor of sport management and chair of this department, has been the chair for two years.

“Students pursuing degrees in these four majors will develop their potential through the acquisition of knowledge, skills and dispositions that will facilitate and enhance their opportunities to successfully acquire and execute careers within their respective industry,” Kaltenbaugh said.

Marketing students will learn and demonstrate skills in advertising, market research, digital marketing, promotion and sales.

“The marketing program helps you put the principles you learn into practice with American Marketing Association (AMA) certification opportunities and real-world experiences that includes internships, hands-on projects, seminars and national competitions,” Kaltenbaugh said.

Students studying hospitality management will learn how to run hotels, resorts and restaurants. They will also learn how to manage conferences, private events and entertainment venues.

“The hospitality management program equips students with key competencies within the industry by implementing the ManageFirst Program, created by the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (NRAEF) into the curriculum,” Kaltenbaugh said.

Fashion merchandising students will learn and understand fashion design, retail merchandising and buying from apparel manufacturers. The program prepares students to study at the Paris Fashion Institute or in New York City at the Fashion Institute of Technology.

“This program is designed to help students hone in their sense of fashion, expand their creativity, and develop the business skills needed to learn market trends and consumer needs,” Kaltenbaugh said.

Sport management students will learn how to manage events and facilities, promote sporting events, analyze sport operations and manage people. Faculty work closely with students to provide a quality “real world” learning experience.
The future for students in this department is very bright.

“The Bureau of Labor Statistics is predicting an increase of 5% (on average) on all four majors through 2024,” Kaltenbaugh said. “This statistic is just one factor that represents the current increase in enrollment of the department majors at AU.”
Sports management and fashion merchandising made their appearance at AU in 2012. Then, in 2014, they teamed up with marketing and hospitality management.

Kaltenbaugh came to AU in 2000 where he taught in the therapeutic recreation and recreation programs. In 2005, he transitioned into the new sport management program and became internship coordinator of the sport management major.

“Many of the department alumni are currently attending graduate school and/or are working in their respective fields,” Kaltenbaugh said.

Past undergraduate students have worked in the following places: Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Indians, Walt Disney World, Cedar Point, Coach, Hollister, American Greetings, Proctor and Gamble, The Ohio State University, Hyatt Corporation, Under Armor and Abercrombie & Fitch.

Questions about these programs can be directed to Kaltenbaugh at [email protected].