An expansion of faith: FCA

Samantha Didion

A set of white lights gleams on the ground to illuminate a cross on the pathway to the large, glossy wooden double-doors of the Jack and Deb Miller Chapel.

Above the double doors is a massive stain glass window, with alluring and eye catching colors that dance in the sunlight.

Around the corner of the brick building is the newly established prayer garden with graceful flowers, shrubs and trees placed delicately around the small winding walkway and wooden bench.

Events for people to show and expand their faith are held at the Chapel daily with majority of them being opened to everyone.

These religious landmarks are only the beginning of the Christian community at AU.

According to the Ashland University’s Office of Christian Ministry, AU offers five organizations that revolve around the idea of providing an abundance of opportunities for students to grow their faith while connecting with others in worship, reflection on Scripture, prayer and service/mission experiences.

“Jesus Christ is what our campus, community and world needs. His presence, power, love and truth can fulfill the desires of every heart,” Glenn Black, executive director of Christian Ministry, said. “We exist to encourage and equip individuals to follow Him by creating spaces and places to worship, pray, connect, serve, grow and study the scriptures. We are made up of people from a variety of backgrounds, traditions, denominations and experiences unified by our faith in Christ.”

Freshman cross country runner Cody Tripp pushes past the entrance way and immediately heads downstairs to the lobby and blindingly white sanctuary of the Chapel where he is greeted by the other athletes gathering for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA).

“FCA is a place where I can go to be refreshed in my faith and re-energized for the rest of the week,” Tripp said.

The Fellowship of Christian Athletes “desire to advance the Gospel of Jesus and His kingdom on the Ashland University campus and into the nations through spiritual generations of laborers living and discipling among the lost” Joe Maggelet, athletic’s chaplin, said.

Through FCA, each sport has a designated Bible study leader who holds separate meetings once a week with smaller groups to gain a more personal discussion on the group’s faith.

Senior Andrew Martin is the point of contact for Bible study leaders to gain knowledge in order to format the meetings to reach a greater extent.

Martin recommends meetings start off with a five to ten minute devotion before the group recites the competitors creed together.

“The competitors creed is something that we try to live by as Christian Athletes,” Tripp said.

The competitors creed can be found at FCA.org and ends with “Let the competition begin. Let the glory be God’s.”

A small group of band students volunteers to play roughly two to three songs at the meeting before Joe Maggelet rises to give a short sermon.

“When you walk in you can feel the love and excitement radiating from everyone. People seem truly excited to fellowship and worship the Lord,” Tripp said.

FCA meets every Tuesday night at 9 p.m. in Lower Chapel.

It is open to everyone although it is focused towards student athletes.

According to the office of Christian Ministry website, there is something available to meet the needs of every student who seeks a closer walk with Jesus Christ and an avenue for spiritual growth both individually and collectively. That includes worship with the Well, mission trips through Isaiah Project, ministry to and for athletes through FCA, sacrament and service through Catholic Campus Ministry.

The Office of Christian Ministry section of the student affairs tab on the Ashland University website provides various links on this website to see how students can be involved with their faith and their peers.