Love to complain? Join the club

By Missy Loar

Whether you call it venting, moaning, whining or that word that starts with a “b,” the truth is that sometimes, everyone just likes to complain.

This week’s issue is an excellent example. Our staff alone bemoans the struggles that come with living on campus or off, the ever-rising costs of college and the oddities one can find on Facebook.

And no one is happy with the fact the internet doesn’t work.

A well-tried and now worn-out response is that someone always has it worse than you.

Few people could argue the validity of this point, but the counter argument is, does there even need to be a point?

Expression is part of human nature. It’s why we talk and share stories with our friends. It’s why email, then IM, then texting all exploded into popularity. It’s behind our wardrobe choices, our interior designs, our tattoos and our Facebook statuses (do they really have any other purpose?).

Expression is the reason we have art, music, dance, literature, speech and more.

Expression is the outlet that allows us to get through the difficult times, whether the hardest part of your day is losing your keys or losing a loved one.

Expression is necessary, even if it is often exaggerated.

Although retention is in fact a concern for the university, many students who complain about their life on campus continue to come here semester after semester.

No one is forcing us to come back here, presumably, so there must be a reason. At the end of the day, it’s never really as bad as we say.

We complain not because we hate AU or the world, but because we’re human and, sometimes, we just aren’t Ashland.