Students vs administrators

Student Speak-Up always produces an interesting, eclectic and even entertaining assortment of student questions, requests and suggestions. Some are angry and some are humorous; some are well-thought-out while others are seemingly uninformed.

But in the interest of democracy, all ought to be considered. Administrators, assumedly, go into the event with this concept in mind. Yet it’s also likely they bring their own agendas to the table, too.

At the end of the day, it’s comparable to children asking their parents for more privileges.

The kids – Ashland University students – know what they want, and most of them think they know what’s best for them. But the parents – administrators – also think they know what’s best.

How do you decide who’s right? Who decides who’s right?

In a way, the administrators decide by developing policies.

Yet students have power, too. The student senate gives them a voice on campus, and no voice speaks louder than retention rates.

It’s tuition that allows the university to stay in operation, and students are responsible for that essential source of income.

So what happens to the university if more students leave? They either do what the students want, or they don’t survive.

At the same time, though, is anyone really going to transfer over a desire for meal swipes at Tuffy’s or better shower curtains?

The odds are unlikely in this case, which brings us full circle: students versus administrators at Student Speak-Up, voicing both their concerns.