Editorial: November 15, 2012

During the all institution meeting on Nov. 13 Ashland University President Dr. Fred Finks discussed the budgetary issues the university has been experiencing and the steps they are taking to rectify the problem.

Finks discussed similar information less than two weeks ago at a faculty senate meeting on Nov. 2. The Collegian sent a reporter when we learned that President Finks would be addressing the senate regarding the budget problems. The story was published in the Nov. 8 issue.

It was a surprise to us when Finks mentioned this article at the all institution meeting. Finks criticized the article not on the accuracy of its content, rather the fact that The Collegian reported on the meeting.

“Some of this information found its way into The Collegian a bit prematurely. It was not my intent for this information to be released and I was not even aware that there was a Collegian reporter at the faculty senate meeting when I spoke November 2 to them about the situation… I want to give compliments to Teresa Williams for her article in The Collegian. Though premature, it was completely factual and expressed my explanation as to the cause of the deficit. So on one hand it was great reporting, on the other hand it was premature but my compliments anyway,” Finks said.

While we appreciate the compliments and free publicity we take issue with the notion that The Collegian somehow printed leaked information. The information was presented to dozens of faculty members at a meeting that is open to anyone on campus, including students.

Anytime there is a meeting where important information will be presented or discussed The Collegian will be there. The Collegian exists to serve Ashland University students and faculty with campus news. It should come as no surprise to anyone that Collegian reporters would be at a meeting discussing important information relevant to the entire campus.