Looking for a Savior

Zack Lemon

Last week, Ashland University made public their presidential profile, which described the expectations and characteristics of the university and their ideal candidate. I wasn’t sure what to expect in this profile; I know I didn’t expect an admissions brochure filled with the same misleading information used to lure in students.

Right away on the first page, last year’s tuition reset was highlighted as evidence of Ashland’s improved affordability and accessibility. It is indeed true that tuition dropped $10,000. However, current students, such as myself, saw their scholarships cut as well. When a $10,000 tuition drop comes with a $10,600 scholarship cut, affordability is not affected. That much is clear.

The published profile claims President Crothers “accomplishments will provide a foundation of financial stability and institutional health” on which the next president can build. I mean no disrespect to Crothers, but I haven’t seen any evidence of true accomplishments. When he arrived, the university was unable to make payroll, something Crothers was able to correct. Cuts were made to the already significantly reduced staff, and faculty was cut for the first time. Twenty-two faculty slots were eliminated, which certainly saved the university money. It seems premature to count this as an accomplishment when, in the immediate short term, it had a negative impact on the university. It may help Ashland become a financially viable institution, but it is public knowledge the most unproductive faculty members were untouchable due to tenure restrictions, and kept their jobs at the expense of more talented faculty members. Crothers was not brought in to keep things at status quo, but removing talented faculty and paying employees should not be jewels in anyone’s crown.

I don’t mean to sound negative, and I don’t want to sound like I am harping on the details. I am just so sick of hearing the same things. I am sick of feeling left in the dark, of being misled by the same language repeated over and over again. I am sick of the tuition reset and the four-year graduation guarantee; both are marketing strategies with little to no substance. I am sick of hearing about the loss of faculty in terms of dollars and cents and credit hours generated. I won’t let myself be told I am important as an individual student, that I am being “Accented” with all of these contradictory actions telling me otherwise. This doesn’t feel like staying true to tradition; this feels like the same nonsense that got us into the situation we find ourselves in now.

However, the university did invite any and all members of the Ashland community to nominate presidential candidates, and I intend to take up the offer as best as I can. This profile demands a visionary leader, a strategic thinker who understands a complex university. 

The new president has to understand the various facets to AU’s education, and advocate for teaching and scholarship to ensure academic quality (as opposed to what other method of ensuring academic quality?). He must be financially savvy, able to improve enrollment numbers while increasing the endowment. Despite this wealth of knowledge, he must delegate to his cabinet, and understand best governance practices to successfully work with the board of trustees. He must be enthusiastic, genuine; a great communicator and a student of the shifting landscape of higher education. 

I have thought long and hard about people to nominate, but it is really quite tough. Even if there is a person who possesses all of these traits, why would they come to Ashland University? Even if he did come, would he make a difference? It is still the same Ashland University that is making the hiring decision; have we as students, as members of the AU community, seen any reason to assume a good decision can be made? 

Ashland is looking for a savior, but unless we separate ourselves from the same misleading empty language we rode into financial ruin, not only will we not find one, but we don’t deserve one.