Dr. Cara Rogers gives presentation on Thomas Jefferson for Ashbrook colloquium 

It was held at 3 p.m. in Ronk Lecture Hall and was the Ashbrook Centers first colloquium of the semester

On Friday, Feb. 2, Dr. Cara Rogers-Stevens, associate professor of history, gave a presentation on her recently published book entitled, “Thomas Jefferson and the Fight against Slavery”. 

It was held at 3 p.m. in Ronk Lecture Hall and was the Ashbrook Centers first colloquium of the semester. 

Proudly wearing her Thomas Jefferson socks, Dr. Rogers-Stevens spoke to students about Jefferson’s stance on slavery, his legislation and the work he had done to establish freedom in America. 

Rogers-Stevens was born in South Africa and immigrated to the United States. Since learning about Jefferson, she was intrigued by the Declaration of Independence and the freedom it gave Americans.  

He became a person of interest, so she wanted to know more. 

“I think because the Declaration of Independence is such an important document that helps Americans have a sense of identity and purpose, it’s important we understand the man who wrote it and that we wrestle through whether or not his ideas are compatible with what we believe about our country,” said Rogers-Stevens. 

In her talk, she explained Jefferson believed slavery was a ‘legalized injustice’ and pointed out his failed legislative attempts to abolish slavery. His Northwest Ordinance of 1784 would have banned all slavery in all new territories, but it failed by one vote.  

Many people believe Jefferson could not be against slavery because he was a slave owner, himself. According to Rogers-Stevens and her research, he could not free them because of his financial situation.  

Rogers-Stevens acknowledges Jefferson was not perfect and could have done more, but she wanted to highlight the fundamental ideology of freedom he helped create for her and countless others.  

“Thomas Jefferson genuinely opposed slavery and that he would be very very happy that we have accomplished so much for liberty and equality today,” said Rogers-Stevens. 

The event ended with a Q&A with students.  

Copies of Dr. Rogers-Stevens’ book were available to purchase after the colloquium and included a signature from the author.