Archer Library sees more student activity after first-floor renovation  

With the renovations, the library staff looks forward to students continually using the spaces and tools they have available

Last fall, the Archer Library received a revamp that has brought more activity to the building.  

The Lyceum Café, The Writing and Communication Center and Information Technology help desk were all moved into the library’s recently renovated first floor. 

The move of these departments has helped provide a convenient space for AU’s academic resources.  

The addition of the Lyceum Café has helped increase the library’s foot traffic and provides visibility for the library’s resources. Upon opening, students began entering the library to see what the new café had to offer. It’s become a social spot in which students can eat, chat, study and relax.    

Freshman Chole Matz had heard about the WCC previously in her English class but was unsure of where it was located on campus. After the café opened last fall, Matz and a friend went to grab a quick drink between classes and discovered its home in the library.  

“If I hadn’t come to the café, I might not have known where it was,” said Matz. Once she found it, she felt comfortable utilizing the service. 

The WCC was previously in Bixler, but it was moved to the library’s first floor after being renovated. WCC Director Mohsine Bensaid agrees with his department’s relocation.  

“The synergy among all the library’s services in the library is intentional,” Bensaid said. “The idea of placing the WCC in a centralized location I think was done purposefully just to make sure students get all the help they need.” 

Bensaid believes the library has become more of a “one-stop shop” for students and it adds to its convenience. Instead of having to go to Bixler and the library, students have access to the university’s academic resources in one place. 

The Information Technology help desk also was relocated to the library from Patterson’s basement. 

Senior, Belle Ayala, is content with the change as she stated, “I feel like IT was the hardest to reach office on this entire campus and now they are right there.” 

Library Director Patricia Frank, has been excited about all of the new activity. 

Frank noted how students will take their papers and other academic assignments to the WCC to work with coaches who are then referred to the circulation help desk. There, they are directed to the library’s additional reference and research resources for further assistance. Librarians on staff are also available to provide personal one-on-one help if needed.  

“In working with the other departments that are now here, we just feel we’re the hub in meeting their research needs as a library and students’ success overall,” said Frank. 

With the renovations, the library staff looks forward to students continually using the spaces and tools they have available.