Backpacking with Brynn: Winter in Mohican

Winter camping might not sound like your idea of fun, but I promise if you give it a chance, you might be surprised
Brynn Meisse
Pictured is the tent Brynn slept in during her trip to Mohican.

As the weather gets colder, it’s hard to find the motivation to get outside and enjoy nature. However, one of my goals for this year is to put my mental health first so the best way to do that is backpacking! 

On the first weekend of January, my friends and I decided to do a spontaneous winter backpacking trip in Mohican Memorial State Forest. 

The park recently reopened its backpacking trails after being closed due to a tornado that tore through the park in June 2022. Campsites one through seven are cleared and opened for the public’s use. Eight, nine, and ten are still closed due to fallen trees.  

Something that stood out to me when planning this last-minute trip was how out-of-date the maps were. When looking online, the map showed old trails that would lead you to the campsites, but those trails no longer existed.  

My friend, Erin, eventually ended up figuring the trail out after comparing several maps and estimating where the campsites should be (I was so impressed she figured this out). 

We started our backpacking trip at the top of the Pleasant Hill Dam and took mountain bike trail L to the covered bridge. This trail had a steady incline to start and eventually led to switchbacks to take us to the infamous covered bridge. When doing this trail in the winter, I would recommend trekking poles to take the impact off your knees. 

The next trail we took was Hog’s Hollow, a 2.4-mile out-and-back trail to the fire tower. I would consider this trail to be moderate due to the rapid incline. While taking this trail, my friends and I went off trail towards the top to find the road.  

I believe that an old trail used to be here but was no longer marked. 

After leaving the Hog’s Hollow trail, we entered bridle trail Q which leads to the campsites.  

It should be noted that to stay at these campsites you need a permit and to sign in at the ranger kiosk that is located off Park Road 60. 

We ended up staying at campsite 2, which had a river crossing. The river crossing wasn’t that bad, but it felt like I was playing Frogger. I had to find rocks that were on the shallow side so I wouldn’t get my shoes wet. 

Rachel, my other friend on the trip, ended up slipping on a rock and soaking her shoes. 

On the bright side, we made it to camp unharmed but a little wet and cold. 

After setting up our tents, I rushed to put on all my layers of clothing because I am cold weather’s number one hater. 

During the night, the weather dropped down to 30 degrees with snow. 

I ended up wearing six layers of shirts/sweatshirts, 4 layers of pants, 3 pairs of socks, gloves, a hat, and a blanket inside of my sleeping bag. Also, to make things even better, I had a nice cup of hot chocolate.  

I expected a terrible night of sleep, but my gear held up well, considering it is for three seasons, not four. 

Winter camping might not sound like your idea of fun, but I promise if you give it a chance, you might be surprised!