Backpacking with Brynn: I found a new cat 

Never in a million years would I have thought a cat would find me in the middle of the woods and end up coming home with me, but I am happy it did. 
Juno%2C+the+cat+found%2C+in+the+Wilderness+Center+woods+in+Wilmont%2C+Ohio.+
Brynn Meisse
Juno, the cat found, in the Wilderness Center woods in Wilmont, Ohio.

Welcome to my new series: Backpacking with Brynn. Throughout this series, I will be talking about different trails in Ohio, trails out of state, stories from the trails, tips and tricks I’ve learned from experience, and everything in between. 

I figured the best way to start this series would be to tell a fun story that ended up with me not leaving the trail empty-handed. 

In November of this past year, my friends and I went hiking at a Wilderness Center in Wilmont, Ohio. This trail was rated easy on All Trails, a hiking app that rates and shows trails, which was an accurate rating because it was flat with the occasional hill.  

We ended up hiking about two miles into the woods to set up for our hammock session. This is my favorite part of any hike because we cook food and get into deep conversations about life. 

While we were having our usual talk about the history of Indigenous peoples, Erin heard a meow in the distance.  

On top of a fallen tree was an orange cat about a year old, who looked to be lost. The first thought that came to mind when I saw this little guy was the cat distribution system! I’ve been waiting for the day when a stray cat would stumble into my path and the chances of it happening on a hiking trip? My entire year was made! 

This cat, whom I ended up naming Juno, hung out with us for about four hours. He would follow us if we got up to go to the bathroom or if we grabbed something out of our bags. 

He was instantly attached to us, and we were to him.  

Once the sun started to set, my friends and I knew it was time to head back to our cars. We were hoping the cat would end up going back to his home, but he had other plans.  

Juno hiked the two miles back to our cars with us. He would run around ahead and look back to make sure we were following. My friends and I started to joke that he was a hiking guide for the trail, but we quickly realized that he was lost. 

Erin, who is a vet technician, decided that one of us should take Juno home so he wouldn’t wander onto the road and get hit. 

I ended up taking Juno to my parent’s house so they could take him to the vet and check for a microchip. 

When my mom met Juno for the first time, her eyes lit up with excitement. She had been wanting an orange cat for years after our family cat died from cancer. It was like the universe wanted my mom to have this cat. 

Juno warmed up to my mom quickly and became extremely spoiled from treats, toys, and cuddles. 

A couple of days later, my mom took Juno to the vet and found out that he didn’t have a microchip. My mom and I agreed that he should stay with them at their house because he would be well taken care of. 

I can confirm that Juno is well off living with my parents. He has the whole basement to himself with the newest toys and is up to date on all his shots to keep him healthy. 

2
View Comments (2)