What is Ohio’s Issue 1 and Issue 2?

These two Issues are important topics in the coming general election
Retrieved from Ashland, Ohio Wikipedia
The above image pictures downtown Ashland, Ohio.

Along the streets of Ashland, people can see yard signs with NO in bolded red letters or YES in a dark blue font, but what are people voting on? 

Two important topics, Issue 1, and Issue 2, are on the ballot for the upcoming general election, affecting residents of Ohio.  

On Nov. 7, registered voters will head out to the polls and state their opinion on these issues. Early voting has already begun. 

What is Ohio Issue 1? 

Issue 1 would establish “that every individual has a right to make and carry out one’s own reproductive decisions, including but not limited to decisions on contraception, fertility treatment, continuing one’s own pregnancy, miscarriage care, and abortion,” according to Ohio Secretary of State, Frank LaRose. 

This issue would amend Article 1, Section 22 of The Right to Reproductive Freedom with Protections for Health and Safety. 

This ballot initiative comes after the overturning of Roe v. Wade, legislation that allowed access to abortion at the federal level in the United States, on June 24, 2022.  

What would change if Ohio Issue 1 passed? 

If Issue 1 was passed, this rule would establish in the Constitution of the State of Ohio an individual right to one’s own reproductive medical treatment. This would include contraception, fertility treatment, miscarriage care, and abortion.  

The State would not be able to penalize or prohibit an individual’s right to exercise this right. However, abortion can be prohibited after fetal viability, “the point in a pregnancy when, in the professional judgment of the pregnant patient’s treating physician, the fetus has a significant likelihood of survival outside the uterus with reasonable measures,” LaRose explained in Issue 1 and Issue 2 report.   

There would be legal protection for any person or person assisting a person who is receiving reproductive medical treatment.  

This issue would protect a woman’s life and health over the unborn fetus.  

What is Ohio Issue 2? 

Issue 2 would establish the state’s right “to commercialize, regulate, legalize, and tax the adult use of cannabis,” according to LaRose. 

This issue would enact Chapter 3780 of the Ohio Revised Code, establishing the Division of Cannabis Control within the Department of Commerce.  

The Ohio government would be able “to legalize and regulate the cultivation, processing, sale, purchase, possession of cannabis” for any adult 21 or older.  

What would change if Ohio Issue 2 passed? 

If passed, the law would become effective 30 days after the election.  

Marijuana sales would be taxed at 10% on top of existing state and federal taxes. 

Passing this issue would help to expand access for medical use as well as allow safer access to cannabis.  

The Division of Cannabis Control would be required to enter into an agreement with the Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services to create a cannabis addiction service.  

Further Research 

For more information on Issue 1 and Issue 2, it’s encouraged to do your own research to make sure you are fully educated on the issues being voted on.  

Here are examples of sites that can provide more in-depth information on Issue 1 and Issue 2. 

Ohio Issue 1, Right to Make Reproductive Decisions Including Abortion Initiative (2023) – Ballotpedia 

Ohio State Issues 1 and 2 (ohiosos.gov) 

Polling Locations 

You can find your polling location HERE. 

Forms of Identification to bring to vote 

• Ohio driver’s license 
  • US passport 
  • US military ID card 
  • State of Ohio ID card 
  • Ohio National Guard ID card 
  • US Department of Veterans Affairs ID card 
  • Interim ID form issued by Ohio BMV 
1
View Comments (1)