AU women’s golf continues hot start to season

The Eagles remain to be one of the top teams in the conference
AU Athletics
Eagle junior women’s golf athlete Grace Grant competes for the team.

The Ashland University women’s golf team has been swinging right along this season continuing to perfect their swings.

The Eagle Invitational and the past few weeks have been a success for the Eagles and Head Coach Bill Pollock as both the Purple and Gold teams remain consistent.

I was very proud of both our teams at our home invitational,” said Coach Pollock. “The Gold team fought all day and managed to tie and allowing us a third straight Eagle Invitational win.”  

Eagle sophomore Klaira Paramore individually placed 3rd in the invitational.

“I wanted to do it for me, and I wanted to do it for my team. We have been so close these last few tournaments,” she said. “You have to hit fairways and greens out here. It is a must if you want to shoot a good score.”

With relentless pressure always being on these golfers to succeed, returning home to play in a familiar setting is always even more tense.

“As athletes we always put pressure on ourselves to do well, but there is something about playing at home that just is an added pressure, so going into the tournament, I wanted to acknowledge the pressure I was feeling, but then I wanted to put it to the side and just play golf,” she said.

The Purple team was incredibly competitive in their most recent tournaments. Specifically, they came from 18 strokes down at the John Carroll Invitational, finishing two strokes out of first.  

Alongside Paramore, junior Grace Grant is looking forward to the season continuing to roll on.

“This is my third year at Ashland, and this is definitely the most talented team we have had since I have been here. We all feel confident going into every tournament we play in,” said Grant. “We have set very high goals this year and definitely feel like we are on track to achieve them. I am excited for our upcoming tournaments as we are working so hard to complete our goals.” 

The next Gold team event will take place Oct. 14-15 in Augusta, MI.  

“We will be taking six players and they have been working very hard to maintain the early season success,” said Coach Pollock. “We have such a strong team this year and everyone knows that to maintain their spot, they must put in the effort and post the scores as we just focus on being better each time, we take the course. If we do the little things, the rest will take care of itself.”