AU women’s golf team leads comeback in Ohio Dominican Golf Tournament

The Eagles finished in fourth out of sixteen teams
Claudia Adcock
The women’s golf team stands together after competing in their previous tournament.

The Ashland University women’s golf team competed in the Ohio Dominican Championship last weekend and ended up tying for fourth place out of sixteen teams.  

Although the Eagles started off slow, a strong second half of the Sept. 17 invitational led to a large comeback to finish in fourth place.

The Eagles were led by sophomore Klaira Paramore, who was the Eagles’ top performer on the weekend and was a key catalyst in the comeback. 

“We made a great second-day comeback moving up from ninth place after day one,” she said. “I am really encouraged to see how much our team has already improved just over the summer. I am optimistic about our ability to be in contention in all tournaments this year.”  

Eagle senior Mailiis Simovart had similar thoughts on how the tournament played out.

“We didn’t play our best on the first day of the tournament, but we turned it around in round two and moved from ninth place up to fourth place,” said she.

The squad hopes to avoid self-inflicted wounds and come back stronger in the next home invitational. 

We were very proud of how we improved from the first round,” said Simovart. “We are looking forward to continuing the season.”