AU Women’s Golf swings into new season with newfound excitement

The Eagles look to find success early in the 2023-24 season
Claudia Adcock
The Eagles look to compete both at home and on the road in the coming season.

The past few weeks the Eagle women’s golf team has been practicing extra hard in preparation for the team’s first tournament of the 2023-24 season.

The Eagles will travel to Charleston, West Virginia for the Golden Eagle Invitational to kick off the upcoming campaign.

“I’m excited for the first tournament of my senior season! We have a really strong team this year and I’m excited about what we can do,” said senior golfer Mailiis Simovart. “Everyone has been very focused, and we had a great weekend of qualifying to challenge us for the first tournament.” 

Eagle Head Coach Bill Pollock is looking forward to seeing the strength this team brings this season, especially considering the work they have put in on growing team chemistry.

“I am excited for this year’s season with some fresh youth and experience,” he said. “To begin the year with a great blend of youth and seasoned veterans who have a strong desire to succeed is exciting. The team chemistry is awesome, and we will be tested against some great teams participating in Charleston.” 

With the team bringing in fresh youth this past offseason, they look to rely on them early to be the next key pieces for the program, one of which being freshman Leeann Harker.

“Going into the first tournament as a freshman I’m excited to see how we do as a team,” she said. “My experience with everyone so far has been great and very welcoming so I’m looking forward to competing and starting the season.”  

The Eagles are very excited to put their skills and time practicing into motion in their first tournament this season. The upcoming tournament will kick off the start of the season in the Golden Invitational from Sept. 11th through the 12th.