Alex Hill takes over as Interim Director of the Office of DEI

Hill looks to bring a new perspective and inclusion to the office
Provided by Alex Hill

When Alex Hill, Interim Director of the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Excellence, was four years old, he knew he wanted to be a Christian. 

“When I was four years old, we were living in an apartment complex and there was a lady that taught at the local schools like an after-school Christian program,” said Hill. “At four years old, I went home and asked my parents if I wanted to be a Christian.” 

Hill’s parents told him that he did not know what that was at the time, but today, Hill’s faith has played a significant role in his decision and his time at Ashland University.  

Hille came to AU in the fall of 2015 as a thrower on the track and field team. Athletics were the main reason he came to AU, but on the second day of classes, Hill was instantly involved in the campus ministries.  

“They had [a] Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and I showed up there,” said Hill. “The person that was running their soundboard and slides... wasn’t there because they had graduated and since I showed up early, they asked if I’d do it.” 

From the first day at FCA, Hill was serving, and overtime became a huddle leader and started leading bible studies in small groups for the track and field team. 

Another ministry that Hill was a part of is called The Melting Pot, but it no longer meets at AU. 

The Melting Pot was primarily formed “for students of color to create a diverse worship opportunity. 

For Hill, being a part of this group felt the most like home while on campus. 

“There weren’t too many worship services that had gospel music, so that was my heart from my home church, and I was like, yeah, I’ll definitely be a part of this,” said Hill.   

As a student, Hill felt that God kept him in different opportunities that kept popping up around campus. 

After his senior season, Hill qualified for the Olympic Trials and former AU track and field coach Judd Logan offered to continue to coach Hill. 

At this point, Hill was attending Five Stones Community Church, and through meeting the pastor of the church, he was offered a position to be the youth pastor. He was also offered the position at Ashland Parenting Plus. 

Those two positions kept Hill in Ashland where his name was passed around and would eventually serve as the interim Well director. 

When the position became official, the university and the church created an MOU position to split time between the two. 

For Hill, his faith played a critical role in him staying in Ashland, and in all the different opportunities and positions that have opened for him.