Ashland welcomes annual county fair for 172nd year

The Ashland County Fair is set to run from Sept. 17 through 23
Brynn Meisse
The Ashland County Fair is coming back for its 172nd year, marking almost two centuries of time.

The perfect way to end summer and welcome fall is by attending the 172 annual Ashland County Fair from Sept. 17 through the 23.  

This annual event features several grandstand events, food vendors, 4H showings, carnival rides, and Fair Royalty.  

Barry Litten Jr., grounds manager and maintenance supervisor, refers to the fair as his “Super Bowl”. 

“We try to have everything for everybody. Children, grandmas and grandpas, moms and dads,” Litten explained.  

It’s safe to say that the fair does have something for everyone. 

On opening day, Sept. 17, the fair will kick off at 9 a.m. with the Junior Fair Market Steer Showmanship Show.  

Midway through the day at noon, the opening ceremonies will be held at the pavilion with the Junior Fair King and Queen following directly after. 

The fair will wrap up its first night with OSTPA Tractor Pull at 6:30 p.m. and the Junior Fair Market Steer Show at 7 p.m. 

Veteran’s Day will be celebrated on Sept. 18 with a free meal being offered to Veterans at noon until 6 p.m. 

During the day fairgoers can watch different 4H and open shows such as rabbits, poultry, sheep, and dairy cows.  

“[Ashland County Fair] has both junior and open fair classes which not all fairs have,” according to Cathy Rice, office manager. 

Once the sun starts to set, the pavilion will come alive with bluegrass music from Lincoln Highway starting at 7 p.m. 

Keeping on theme with music, Sept. 19 will be the day country music fans won’t want to miss! 

Joe Nichols and special guest Emily Ann Roberts will be performing at the Grandstand starting at 7 p.m. 

Gate admission is $5 per person. 

While this preview only highlights a couple events taking place at the fairgrounds, the full schedule can be found at Home – Ashland County Fairgrounds.