Student Senate discusses the annual Day of Giving, and how donor funds work

Abigail Hassenzahl

Student Senate meets on the second floor of the student center on Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m.

Student Senate discusses the Day of Giving, Eagles for Pride, and other various concerns on campus.

Mark Libs, the director of Annual Giving for the Advancement Office, came to speak at the student senate.

He introduced what the department does and explained certain aspects of what the department can and can not do with funding.

The Advancement Office handles the donations and gifts from donors and handles the scholarships and allocations for funds given by alumni and supporters of the university.

He then explained what the Day of Giving can do for student organizations on campus.

The Day of Giving is a day to fundraise funds for student organizations. It is 36 hours in which donors can donate to their choice of student organizations, and it will be held on March 23-24.

The Advancement Office reaches out to those who have donated in the past and requests that they help support student organizations on campus.

The Advancement Office also requested that student organizations reach out and create a 30 to a 60-second video about the organization.

These videos would then be posted and sent to donors in order to help them understand the organization. The office requests that organizations reach out and have their videos in by March 1.

Students who have questions, students who want to reach out to their student organizations, donors, or anyone who may wish to donate to the university can reach out to the advancement office via email or by phone at 419-289-5620 or by email at [email protected].

Eagles for Pride and Theta Phi Alpha were present at the meeting.

They sent a letter to the Student Senate regarding an event they had intended to host. The event was to raise funds for the Mahoning County Full Spectrum Community Outreach Housing Project, a project for housing LGBTQ+ youth.

They proposed a Family Friendly Drag Show. A section of their letter read, “The event proposal, unfortunately, was denied after going through the run around from the board of trustees to President Campo. The reason for its denial was that the university wasn’t ‘ready’ for such an event. This is not the only thing, but this is the straw that broke the camel’s back when it comes to the university’s view of Eagles for Pride.”

The organizations requested that the Student Senate consider reaching out to leadership as they felt this was an oppression of their organizations.

The Student Senate decided that they would meet with the organizations to figure out following steps to be taken care of.

Other items discussed at the meeting were library hours, meal plans, town hall meetings, senior luncheons and campus events.

Archer Library change of hours was discussed and the senate requested an extension of hours.

There was a discussion regarding a Senior Luncheon, which would be a luncheon held after the graduation ceremony.

The luncheon would have two additional tickets for guests and more could be purchased. This was primarily shot down due to students already having plans with their families. A concern was brought up over the outdoor area outside of convo. The area was created in particular for eating outside of convo.

However, current meal plans do not allow this and revisions to the meal plans are being discussed.

Town Hall meetings were also brought up. The town hall is open to the community.

However, students are not permitted to attend these meetings. Students who want to attend these meetings have expressed concern over this issue. There is currently a discussion trying to get student access to these meetings.

Events coming up on campus include housing applications, CAB and Black Student Alliance events.

Housing applications are due on Monday, Feb. 13 by 11:59 p.m.

Campus Activities Board will host a Nostalgia event on Feb. 10 from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. at Redwood Hall. The event will focus on childhood favorites.

Also, on Feb. 10, Black Student Alliance will be hosting a black history of music in Eagles Landing.

Feb. 17 at 7 p.m., Too Black, a speaker and poet, will be at Ashland University for a hearing and discussion. They will meet in the Student Center Auditorium and snacks will be provided.

Student Senate meets every Tuesday at 9:30 p.m. on the second floor of the student center, and everyone is welcome to attend.