A new casual study space is created for students at AU’s library

Luqman Tarouti

The hall is large and quiet. Through the quiet, whispering voices from the students and the keyboard keys can be heard. The smell of the place is a mix between books and the smell of coffee that is emitted from the small coffee machine on the right side of the reception. Students are all over the place; some are holding a book and in front of them, with papers scattered randomly on the table. Some students are rubbing their eyes because of the long time spent watching their computer screens in an attempt to finish homework. Others are trying to stretch and position on the sofas, so that they might reach a more comfortable position to be able to focus on their studies.

This semester, students will have a new reason to visit the library: a new location was created for students to study in.

Ultimately, the new addition to the library is one where students can read, relax, study, and enjoy the tranquil atmosphere.

During the summer, the library staff worked tediously to transition the periodicals section located on the main floor up to the sixth floor to make space for the casual study zone.

“The idea [began] with Mr. Eun-Woo Chang, the Chief Academic Officer at the University,” said Jan Marotta, who has worked at the AU library for 36 years. “He felt that the library needed a more [open and inviting environment for] students [to unwind].”

Marotta described an obstacle that the library staff dealt with during the construction stage.

“The challenge was figuring out the proper area- without [causing crowding elsewhere],” said Marotta.

The new lounging space, located on the right side of the main floor, is furnished with an array of hardwood tables, chairs, and leather sofas for those looking for more comfort while studying.  

AU student Justin Wallace, described what he likes most about the new study section.

“This new space is probably going to be my usual place to study because it is quiet,” said Wallace. “People are not going in and out like other [locations] in the library, so it is less distracting.”

Students can still view the current year of periodicals on the main floor, located near the wall on by the new study space.

“Last semester, the library staff did a survey to find what students want in the library,” said Marotta. “So, [we found that] students wanted a café and more study rooms with white-boards. We knew that we needed to transition the library from what it is now to something else.”

The library is hoping to make even more renovations in the future.