Car keyings alarming students on campus

At least two reports of keyed cars in Lot F occurred within a week of each other.

The cars were owned by Claire Houchin and Emma Heim. Heim’s car was parked towards the center of the lot, while Houchin’s was between the back and the middle of the lot.

Both girls contacted safety services immediately after the incident. Safety services came out to their cars, took some photos and filed an incident report.

Dave McLaughlin, director of Safety Services, said that it was likely either a targeted incident or a result of inconsiderate behavior.

“Dents, scratches, things like that, they happen unfortunately,” McLaughlin stated.

Heim’s roommate was advised by Safety Services to move the cars more toward the front of the lot while Houchin was allowed to park in a separate lot until she felt safe enough to return to Lot F. However, both girls seemed unsatisfied with these solutions.

“It kind of felt like I just reported it and then it died there. Like I don’t know who did it. I don’t if they’re going to get in trouble for it. I haven’t heard anything from them since I reported it,” Houchin said.

Heim mentioned the lack of security cameras on campus to be a reason that safety services have not caught anyone yet.

“I don’t understand why they can’t have cameras there or why they don’t have cameras there…I pay for my car to be parked there. I expect safety to be doing something to keep it from being keyed,” Heim stated.

A legislation for the student senate is currently being drafted by John Cartagirone, Andrews Hall representative. Cartagirone hopes that the legislation will be able to “install security cameras in the parking lots so we are able to prevent future keyings or at least be able to catch individuals who do it.”

Cartagirone was approached by Houchin after her car was keyed, sparking discussion on what could be done to prevent such incidents.

If the parking lots get security cameras McLaughlin stated, “It won’t be because of cars getting vandalized. It’s because of personal safety. That’s paramount…Two cars getting keyed, in my opinion, doesn’t warrant a camera. But if someone were to be followed by strangers or something like that, I’m not going to wait for it to happen again. That’s where we would give our top priorities.”