Letter from the Editor: Sean Repuyan

Letter from the Editor: Sean Repuyan

Welcome to Ashland University.

Right now, you’re reading The Collegian, AU’s student-run newspaper. The Collegian runs alongside the sister website, ashland-collegian.com, formerly known as AU-Live.com.

My name is Sean Repuyan and I am the Managing Editor of this paper. I wear several other hats in the Journalism and Digital Media Department, but I’d like to welcome you to AU.

“With the Accent on the Individual,” AU seeks to provide you with quality education, with a tight-knit community and faculty and staff members dedicated to securing your success.

I have had nothing short of a great experience on Ashland’s campus, from making friends to meeting crunch times on deadlines. Although I have a few more semesters to go, it still feels like it has gone too fast.

Writing, creating and editing content within this department has become a great passion of mine and I am forever grateful to my advisors as well as my fellow students.

Originally, coming to college, I intended to follow in the footsteps of my mother. I thought I wanted to be a teacher.

I appreciate the education field and all the hard work that goes into it. However, I quickly realized that it was not for me. I realized something was missing.

I wanted to create. I wanted to write. I wanted a voice.

My major took on many different forms – Education, English Education, just English until I decided on Journalism. Slowly, different pieces of the department called out to me.

I took on a DJ shift with 88.9 WRDL, I auditioned to be an anchor for AUTV 20 and I wrote rough drafts for The Collegian. Things started to fit into place and I felt comfortable with myself.

Pouring more of myself into the JDM department gave me a sense of accomplishment, a sense of pride and confidence that I didn’t have before.

My mother described college as a journey with no clear destination.

The freedoms college gives you and the “adulting” it requires gave me a strong sense of independence to pursue my true passions.

Without the help of friends, resources in the university and especially my collection of academic advisors I acquired through so many degree changes, I wouldn’t be the person I am writing this right now.

I wouldn’t be happy.

Happiness is an abstract concept, but to me, it represents a perfect puzzle piece fitting seamlessly into place. Similar to those “oddly satisfying” videos on social media, finding my passion gave me happiness.

The Journalism and Digital Media Department gave me happiness.

My friends and family gave me happiness.

It was a grand culmination of things finally falling into place for the first time in my life and I hope the journey continues.

Find your puzzle pieces. Find your passions. Find your happiness.

College is a journey–you define the destination.