Women’s soccer falls to Ferris State in NCAA Division II Regional Tournament

Eagles end season with loss to Bulldogs

AU Athletics

Goalkeeper Bri Rogers and midfielder Avery Rosso embrace one another after a hard fought game.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland University women’s soccer team has been on a tear throughout the Great Midwest Athletic Conference this season, but with the NCAA Division II postseason underway, they fell just short of a victory.

Early in the first half, the Eagles were led by freshman midfielder Leah Goedde who secured the first goal of the contest.

In the 37th minute, she gained possession and cut inside the box past a defender before touching it with her left foot and striking it with her right. The ball found the bottom right corner of the goal giving the Eagles momentum to start the contest.

Heading into halftime outshooting the Ferris State Bulldogs 5-2 and up a score, they needed to maintain composure coming into the second half.

Although their mindset was high and their composure was strong the Eagles allowed senior defender Nikki May to find her fourth goal of the season. With the goal, the Bulldogs tied back up the game.

With plenty of time remaining until regulation would come to a close, both squads were unable to find a much-needed goal to take the win.

The two teams would head into overtime tied at 1 apiece.

With an extra 30 minutes to find a goal through two overtime periods, both were still unable to find a goal.

Ultimately, in the ninth round of penalty kicks the Eagles would fall.

The season for the women’s soccer team has officially come to a close, finishing with a record of 15-3-3 and 11-1-2 in conference play. They also secured the Great Midwest Athletic Conference title.

The Eagles look to next season to redeem themselves with an NCAA Division II postseason run.