Student Speak-Up paves the way for parking concerns

By Glenn Battishill

This fall’s Student Speak-Up heard many of the same issues as years previous, including 24-hour visitation, meal swipes and class scheduling.

Two issues that have always been important were prevalent again this year: parking and Internet issues.

Facilities Management and Planning Vice President Rick Ewing said he takes the opportunity of Student Speak-Up to hear about issues on campus that his department can handle.

“I like Student Speak-Up,” Ewing said. “It gives us a chance to hear about what’s going on on campus. Students telling us about problems is how we get all of our work done.”

Following the completion of the new football stadium, student parking has been shuffled to accommodate the new traffic for the athletic complex, including implementing rules that now prohibit students from parking in the Amstutz parking lots.

Many students now have to park in the gravel commuter lot, which students have requested be paved. Members of Greek Life also asked that the fraternity parking lot be paved.

“We have a design and a quote for the costs,” Ewing said. “It has been worked into our priority list. We’ve had the idea since 2007 but have been working out small problems, like lighting.”

The gravel lot is also not fully lined, which Ewing hopes to fix soon.

“Obviously the next step is paving the whole lot,” Ewing said. “This is a project that could cost anywhere from $100-150 thousand, so we are trying to make this fit into our plans.”

Ewing said that in addition to paving the lot, a city-approved water retention system must first be designed and approved.

“The city has to approve our water retention system,” Ewing said. “The city dictates what we can do in this situation.”

Student also brought up issues with poorly maintained bathrooms in residence halls, such as Clayton’s bathrooms.

Ewing reported that the issues were taken care of and wanted to encourage students to report any maintenance problems; if the problem is not promptly handled, try to submit another report.

Information Technology was also questioned about the condition of the Internet on campus and the recent campus-wide server crash over the previous weekend.

Curtis White, vice president of Information Technology, explained that the school’s Bradford server had been experiencing problems for a few weeks before it crashed completely.

White said that Bradford replaced the less-than-a-year-old server the next day.

“We don’t expect any failures from this new server,” White said.

White said that IT’s next step is working to open up the additional bandwidth on campus, with hope that the new server will provide more stable service to students.

“We really need to work on getting better wireless Internet in the residence halls across campus,” White said.

Students also asked where the new eagle on the corner of Claremont and College came from.

“It’s from Aspen, Colorado,” President Dr. Fred Finks said. “We are the eagles and I think it looks great.”