Myschoolnotebook.com offers a new way to manage class notes

By Glenn Battishill

Anyone who has ever lost their notebook before class or borrowed a friend’s notebook only to find it full of illegible scribbles knows how much easier it is to take notes electronically. Myschoolnotebook.com is a brand new website designed to be used by high school and college students that allows them to store and organize their notes on the internet with the ability to access them anywhere, anytime.

Dagmar Volfova, the U.S. contact for the company that created and runs myschoolnotebook.com, outlined the features of the service.

“Myschoolnotebook.com is a service for taking notes at school,” Volfova said. “It allows users to create notebooks, add topics in the notebooks and divide the topics into individual lessons. The lessons are then automatically numbered, dated and sorted. The structure of the notebook is arranged well.”

One feature college students might find useful is its connectivity to Facebook, through which students can easily log in and share notes with their classmates. Users can share creative rights to a notebook with classmates, rent it to a friend as a read only version or publish the notebook online, where it would become searchable by Google.

Myschoolnotebook.com isn’t strictly a computer-based service either, with HTML 5 designs for iPhones, iPads and Androids so students can view notes on the go. Additionally, an application is available on the Apple AppStore.

The website was designed by 18-year-old Jakub Roz, a Prague resident who noticed in high school that while many students take notes using programs such as Microsoft Word, they just saved the documents without much organization and would often lose them. Roz then designed a simple system for recording notes.

He made the system available to his classmates, who praised him for the program, and afterwards, collaborated with one classmate who specialized in programming to set up a Czech version of myschoolnotebook.com.

The website became a hit amongst Czech students and the amount of users skyrocketed to 25,000, which is very large considering the size of the Czech market. Seeing the success of the Czech site, they set out to create an English version at the end of 2011.

Currently, Roz attends the Private High School of Computing Technology in Prague and is the owner of the Internet marketing agency, Flow Media, on top of founding of myschoolnotebook.com.

In 2010 he won the Junior Internet competition with myschoolnotebook.com and is currently involved in the Junior Internet organization. He has been doing business on the Internet since he was 14 and founded his first company before he turned 18.

Myschoolnotebook.com advertises two versions, the free version and the premium version. The free version allows users access to many functions of the site but only one notebook.

“The free version serves more just as a trial for users to see if they like myschoolnotebook.com in general,” Volfova said. “Users can create one notebook and share it with Facebook friends. [Many functions] such as printing of notes, drawing tools and file uploaders are part of the premium version.” The premium version costs only two dollars per month, which they believe is very affordable for students on a budget.

The team at myschoolnotebook.com hopes that the site will accommodate the needs of students.

“Myschoolnotebook.com responds to the basic needs of all students who want to be successful at school,” Volfova said. “More and more students use their laptops in classrooms and often deal with a problem: how to get notes from classes they missed. They will also be able to cooperate with other students to improve the quality of their notes. MSN simply represents a comfortable, easy and useful way to keep up with what is going on in a class and be ready for tests.”

In the following months MSN hopes to expand their English user base. Since it launched under a month ago, the English version has been their primary focus. They also just launched myschulheft.de, a German version of myschoolnotebook.com, and are currently planning a Spanish version.

This summer they hope to start another service called “School Store” where students will be able to sell their notes from their classes at a price they determine. They were hoping this will motivate students to keep neater and more organized notes so they can sell them at the conclusion of their course.

“By visiting our “School Store” you are able to find notes from students of the same school with the same professors from the previous year,” Volfova said. “It is not possible to find those relevant notes somewhere else on the Internet.”

The company also plans to publish an educational magazine to inform schools about the features of myschoolnotebook.com and other ways they might use technology and digital tools in schools.

Overall, myschoolnotebook.com is a unique tool for students that could prove very helpful, especially those with horrible handwriting and lack of organizational skills.

Students can check out the service at myschoolnotebook.com and sign up through Facebook for the free version. Switching to the premium version is only two dollars a month and could prove very beneficial to students.