“Light it up blue” for autism awareness

By Melanie Sudar

Although many may know April as the last full month of school, the middle of spring, or the host of April Fool’s Day, it is also autism awareness month. This year, Ashland University is participating. The Psychology Club and Psi Chi are hosting an autism awareness day April 2.

Psychology professor Kathleen Petrill introduced the idea to both organizations, and said she has a personal connection to autism. Petrill’s grandson was diagnosed with autism when he entered grade school, and she said her entire family is involved with autism causes.

“My son first introduced me to this idea,” Petrill said. “And I remember thinking how much I wished it was something our campus could do.”

World Autism Awareness Day was recognized by both the United Nations and the United States government in 2008. April 2 was given as the official date, with the entire month of April dedicated to autism awareness. Autism Speaks, one of the main autism awareness organizations, hosts a campaign called “Light It Up Blue!”

According to their website, more than 70,000 people participated in this campaign last year by lighting up their houses, offices, or buildings blue in order to raise awareness of autism. On April 1, the eve of Autism Awareness Day, prominent buildings and structures throughout the United States will be lit up blue, including the Empire State Building and Niagara Falls. As part of this campaign, Ashland University plans to promote as much blue as possible.

The president of the AU psychology club, Amber Weaver, said she is very excited about the day, and hopes many students will be involved.

“Everyone can wear blue on April 2, and buy from our bake sale that week to support Autism Speaks,” Weaver said. “The week before we will be doing dorm donations as well.” Weaver also said there will be posters around campus loaded with Autism facts.

Because this is the first time Ashland University is participating, only April 2 will be celebrated; however, both Weaver and Petrill said they hope to see the event grow.

“You want to see the idea spread,” Petrill said. “Maybe next year other departments or other colleges will participate, and in the future we could celebrate the entire month.”

According to Autism Speak’s website, autism affects one in every 110 people, and only receives $79 million from private donations. Costing the nation over $35 billion per year, autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the United States. Weaver said autism awareness is so important because of the amount of people affected.

“[Autism] affects the most people, but has the least amount of funding,” she said.

Petrill agreed and said she is most excited about the student involvement with the event, and hopes this will someday spread to the community.

“The enthusiasm of our students is very enlightening,” she said. “It’s absolutely thrilling to see how much the students have been involved.”

Both Petrill and Weaver hope that the autism awareness day will grow in the future, and will also help promote awareness and encourage the research of autism itself.

“It’s wonderful to not only see ‘Light It Up Blue!’ on campus, but to actually see adults on campus serve others… I think that’s a very beautiful thing,” Petrill said.