A glimpse at Student Affairs: The woman who makes it run

By Melanie Sudar

Ashland University’s policy has always been about the success of its students.

The staff and faculty here at AU make students their primary goal and concern.

Although all members of this university fulfill this ambition of improving students’ success, perhaps no one lives it out as much as Sue Heimann.

The Vice President of Student Affairs made it clear that students were her primary concern when she delved into a conversation about Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest, and talked about how to make it a resource for her to interact with the AU students.

“I want to know how to use [the social media] as the Dean of Students,” she said. “Not Sue Heimann.”

Heimann originally planned to only be at Ashland for one year, and even made a pact with her husband.

However, things changed and Heimann has now been here for 33 years.

“I made a marriage deal with my husband: ‘Honey, if you come here for one year I’ll go anywhere you want to go,’” she said. “And we decided to stay, and stay… if you stay long enough, they don’t know what to do with you.”

Students may have heard of or seen Heimann around campus, but what exactly does the Vice President of Student Affairs do?

Heimann explained that her job involves two things.

“One is to enhance student learning outside the classroom,” she said. “And the second one would be to advocate for student needs.”

Heimann further explained the meaning of her job, saying that the students’ voice is of utmost importance.

“I think part of [my job] is making sure they have a voice, and that I champion that voice,” she said.

Heimann said her job varies from summer to school year. Both times are busy, and although the school year seems to be more hectic, the summer can still be packed.

“It’s busy; the day is full,” she said. “[There are also] between 500 and 600 students coming with their parents and being a part of the summer drive-ins.”

Along with working on big projects, such as revising the sexual assault policies, Heimann also said she helps with hiring new staff if needed in the summer.

While the summer is slightly slower, Heimann said the school year depends on a day-to-day basis.

“I live my life by interruptions,” she said. “It’s not unusual to have four or five students a day who either need advice or someone told them to see me. And I think part of that is because of the Vice President’s role, but part of it is because I’ve been here so long.”

Heimann said her many years of experience at AU help her help students, and allow her to give the proper advice. However, Heimann also said that she rarely encounters problems with her students.

“Our students are so amazing,” she said. “We have very few student conduct issues or interactions with the police.”

A typical day for Heimann involves planning, budgeting and supervising.

Although, the most important part, according to Heimann, is “empowering students.”

She said this is done in two ways: encouraging students to pursue their dreams, and to “create change.”

Heimann grew up in Willard, Ohio and, like many college students, changed her career path many times throughout her education.

Originally, her main desire was to be a teacher.

After being told of the small job market for teachers, becoming an attorney was next on the list.

Once that was crossed off, criminal detective was next.

Finally, Heimann graduated with three majors in social work, psychology and sociology. After being a resident assistant her sophomore year in college, Heimann fell in love with helping others.

Once she realized she could forever have this as a career, Heimann decided to receive her Masters in College Student Personnel.

Heimann eventually worked her way up the ladder at AU after receiving her Masters from Bowling Green State University.

“I’ve been the Director of Housing here,” she said. “I’ve been the Director of Orientation, the Director of Career Services. I then became Assistant Dean and did Student Conduct, and then Associate Dean and Dean, and now V.P.”

Although Heimann emphasized loving every aspect of her job, she said the best part would have to be seeing a student grow.

“My favorite part of the job is helping students be successful,” she said. “When you look at someone who you’ve met as a freshman or a sophomore and you see who they’ve become when they’re ready to graduate, it’s amazing.”

Even though Heimann loves the students at AU, she said the best part about working at Ashland is the university as a whole, and has no regrets about her 33 years of involvement.

“It’s a great place,” she said. “We have great students, and great faculty; I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.”