Dynamic duo to star in upcoming play

By Melanie Sudar

It’s 1950. Raging winds and snow force a bus to stop at a diner, where strangers must interact with each other. From cowboys to alcoholic professors and singers to sheriffs, Ashland University’s newest production of “Bus Stop” encompasses funny, touching, sad and happy moments. Two of the production’s main characters, Austin and Aaron Arnold, are looking forward to the show and say it is not one to miss.

Both majoring in theatre, Austin and Aaron are not new to performing. Although they have been in roughly ten productions at AU, this is only their second main-stage production together. Both said they are excited for the show and that because the cast is small, there are no true lead roles – everyone is always on stage.

“There’s two cowboys, there’s one singer. I play a drunk, alcoholic professor and Aaron’s the sheriff,” Austin said, “so hilarity ensues as these people are forced to interact.”

Austin said what he likes most is the fact that majority of the cast is upperclassmen. He said this is good because almost everyone knows each other, which makes the show more enjoyable.

“We all know each other, so it’s just really cool how the ensemble plays off each other,” he said. “Everybody is really, really talented and everybody’s just willing to get out there and play every night at rehearsal and come up with new things and that’s really fun.”

Aaron agreed. He said he likes working with the cast because of their commitment to the show.

“Everybody is just so dedicated to putting on the best show we can,” he said. “It’s a good cast, good director.”

The senior twin brothers are from Chardon, Ohio. After graduation they plan to move to Los Angeles, Calif. to be actors in movies and television shows.

“Aaron and I really want to focus on the film and TV side, rather than the live theatre side,” Austin said.

Although they don’t plan to continue roles in live theatre, both Austin and Aaron say “Bus Stop” is a show worth seeing. They said AU students will enjoy the performances, and that the actors will keep them intrigued.

“[“Bus Stop”] is just as good as the new Batman movie,” Aaron said.

Austin agreed and encouraged AU students to come to the performance because it will be different than any other show.

“It’s a great date night,” Austin said. “I challenge any grown man or any tough woman or any child not to come to this show and not to cry like a little baby and laugh harder than they’ve ever laughed before.”

“Bus Stop” will have shows running on Sept. 27, 28, 29, at 7:30 p.m. and Sept. 30 at 2:00 p.m.

It will also be showing Oct. 4-6 at 7:30 p.m. in the Hugo Young Theatre.