What makes the College of Education a top choice

By Melanie Sudar

Ashland University has an array of majors offered for its students. From criminology to journalism, biology to psychology, and English to education, AU has something for everyone. However, education majors seem to be prevalent around campus, as the College of Education hosts roughly a quarter of students at AU.

The College of Education has 29 different majors. These majors include art education, integrated language arts, music education and early childhood education, among many others.

The students involved with each major ranges from one student to over 100 students. The most popular major is early childhood education with 139 students.

Although there are many students and many majors, the College of Education only has 26% of all undergraduates at AU.

Junior Kelli Nelson is a middle grades education major with a concentration in math and language arts.

Nelson said she chose education because she wants to change her students’ lives. Because she wants to teach in urban areas, she feels this will be easier.

“I want to be that role model for those kids,” she said. “I want to be that positive influence.”

Originally from Canton, Ohio, Nelson said she chose Ashland because of its proximity, but also because of its reputation. She said that she is proud to be an AU student.

“I chose Ashland because an Ashland degree carries,” she said. “You can really go anywhere with an Ashland degree and get a job.”

Dr. James VanKeuren is the dean of the College of Education, and has been at AU for 14 years.

Although he has only been the dean for five years, he was previously a principal and superintendent of schools. VanKeuren said he believes the education program is so popular because of the experience students receive.

“We are expanding opportunities for [students] to do their internship outside of Ohio,” he said. “This spring we will probably have 40 to 50 students doing their internships in the south.”

Nelson agrees and said the professors really help the students, and make the program so fruitful.

“The professors that actually teach the education classes have legitimately taught in the field that they’re teaching,” she said. “So they know the problems that you’re going to have, and they know what are some good things about it and what you’re going to have to tweak in order to teach every student.”

Junior early childhood education major Kirsten Logan agrees, and said that she first heard about AU’s education program through a high school teacher, and has loved it ever since.

“One of my teachers in high school had told me about how respectable [the program] was,” she said. “And how you get to go into the field your freshman and sophomore year, while at other colleges you had to wait until your junior year, and I really liked that.”

Nelson is looking forward to graduation, because of the education she has received, and will continue to receive, at Ashland. She said she really enjoys her classes and her field experiences, and feels ready for her future.

“[Field experience is] really nice because they always put you with mentor teachers who have had students before so they know how to prepare you for this,” she said.

Recently, the education program has incorporated technology into its curriculum. It is currently only for freshmen, but they hope to eventually have the requirement for all students in the College of Education.

This new change requires students to have mobile technology with them in the classroom, and teachers now incorporate iPads and other technology in their lesson plans.

Because of this new requirement, both Logan and Nelson agree that the education program is continuing to better itself and help its students.

“I think, especially for younger kids in early childhood, they are captivated by technology,” Logan said. “It’s new and exciting, and it engages them in the lesson. So I definitely think it will be a good experience for them to have.”

Nelson said her high school programs recommended Ashland University, because it is ranked number one in Ohio for education. She also said her experience here has reinforced her dream of being a teacher.

“I know that this is what I’m supposed to be doing,” she said.