Student involvement has positive outcome

By Melanie Sudar

When it comes to business, junior Taylor Zorman pretty much knows it all.

Originally from Novelty, Ohio, Zorman said she chose Ashland University because of advice from a professor who came to speak at her high school. Zorman said she enjoys how small AU is, and the opportunities she receives because of it.

“I know all of my professors really well,” she said. “Taking my salesmanship class this semester has been extremely helpful because I ask my professor real-life questions that I use in my internship.”

In August, Zorman began an internship with Markt Solutions, a screen-printing and embroidery company based out of Mount Vernon. She said she enjoys working for the company, and has a newfound love for artwork.

“I’ve never really thought of myself as an artistic person,” she said. “But I get to use Adobe Illustrator – which is a very nice program that they’ve provided for me. And so, it really helps with my creativity and being able to put what I think onto something for others to see.”

However, Zorman does things on campus other than her internship and classes. She said she enjoys being involved, and that it keeps her busy.

“I like to say I’m involved on campus,” she said. “I’m in CAB; I’m involved in Greek Life. I also work on campus in the mail room, which is fun.”

Zorman said there are certain things she loves about each of the groups she’s involved with. She said being in Greek Life has taught her things that she wouldn’t have learned elsewhere.

“Originally I was very against Greek Life, but then I came here and saw all of the opportunities,” she said. “I don’t think being Greek makes you better than somebody, but it makes me aspire to be the best I can be, because seeing the girls I look up to in my sorority is just awesome. And not just in my sorority, but in all the chapters there are leaders, and just great people on campus are also Greek, too.”

Although Greek Life is big for Zorman, CAB is also important to her. Last year, she received General Member of the year award, and said there is nothing to dislike about being in CAB.

“[CAB] is one of my favorite things,” she said. “I just love everything about CAB. It’s really fun and you get to meet people. Through being in groups on campus and stuff they’ve helped me grow.”

Last summer, Zorman studied abroad in Costa Rica for one month. She said it was a very good experience, hopes to return to Costa Rica in the future. She also said studying abroad really helped with her major.

“Companies are moving into other markets, and if you don’t understand the cultural aspect of those markets, you’ll fail,” she said. “Having that can help me help my company succeed.”

Working with Markt Solutions, Zorman is a sales representative. She said that as a sales representative she does a lot of micro managing.

“I get to meet with people on campus,” she said. “And just see what they need and help them. So I’ll do artwork; I’ll order the garments with my adviser’s help; and do pricing for them.”

Markt Solutions is responsible for providing most of the t-shirts on campus. Zorman said she contacts groups to ask if they would like any apparel made, but groups also come to her as well.

“In the beginning of the year I went to the Activity Fair and I just handed out business cards,” she said. “Luckily the Greek community has been awesome – all of the sororities have been amazing. I can’t even thank them enough, because that’s where most of my business is coming from.”

Zorman said she also gets business from her involvement on campus. She said that people will contact her for a different club they are involved in, and so on.

“Recently I’ve been reaching out to individual clubs that I think need shirts,” she said.

Zorman said she really enjoys working for Markt Solutions, and hopes to have a future with them, rather than just interning. However, a job offer is based off of her success as an intern.

“I would like to [work for them in the future],” she said. “If I do well enough they will ask me back. Hopefully this turns into a job if I keep doing well.”

For the future, Zorman hopes to travel to more Spanish-speaking countries before settling locally in Ohio. Although she originally came to Ashland to become a teacher, she hopes to graduate and work in brand management. Her dream job would be to brand for Procter & Gamble – a multinational consumer company based in Cincinnati, Ohio.

If you would like Markt Solutions to produce apparel for a club you’re involved in, Zorman can be reached at [email protected].