Pres. Finks addresses budget cuts

By Melanie Sudar

Beginning in January, Ashland Univeristy will cut around $850,000 in budget cuts. These cuts will include 12 -15 staff and faculty positions and programs that are yet to be determined.

“Our goal in all of this is that we will be able to maintain the quality of our work with fewer people in certain areas,” he said.

Budget cut rumors have been floating around Ashland University’s campus almost all semester. With the recent cuts, campus was left wondering what would be next.

In an all-institution meeting held Nov. 13 in the Hugo Young Theatre, President Fred Finks addressed this issue with all faculty members.

“Undergraduate enrollment this past year was projected to be at 2,222 students,” Finks said. “We hit that goal by hitting 2,225. And so, anticipating that by hitting our goal we would also hit budget, we were a bit surprised when we learned that we were about $1.5 million under budget for undergraduate enrollment.”

Typically, the university uses a specific formula to figure out the yearly budget. Although this formula has worked in the past, things panned out differently this year, as more students chose to commute, study abroad or student teach – all of which change the budget.

Finks said that because of this change, the university will begin to look at individual students to calculate the budget, rather than the student body as a whole.

“Each time we face a problem, and we’ve been facing many problems, we learn as we face those problems how to rectify so that it doesn’t happen again,” he said. “So what we’ve learned at this point is as we put the budget together next year, we’ll look at individual students…”

Some students included in the 2,225 are those that don’t pay tuition based on scholarships and other various situations. Because of this, and those students who don’t stay on campus, individual students will be accounted for.

Finks said that he was aware of possible budget cuts early this school year, and warned his staff accordingly. He said that each department then carefully examined their budgets and cut spending where they saw fit.

“When this year began, I informed our cabinet that budget cuts were likely and that we should begin acting as if we’d already cut our budgets,” he said. “So each vice president and provost began looking at their budgets and began pulling back in their spending and calculating of spending for the rest of the year.”

Jeff Russell and a group of faculty members from the College of Business volunteered to dissect the university’s budget to also help with problems and spending. Finks said that through the last couple of months they have been spending with the budget, the group has done a remarkable job at tearing it apart from a business standpoint.

“Their expertise in banking and finance and business helped us focus on a couple of areas that we think will help save us money as we move forward,” he said.

Finks said that he and his cabinet have been looking at the budget for months, and have officially made cuts as of last week.

Finks warned all of campus to begin spending less, and said that the cuts will be noticeable. However, he said that the university is going to attempt to make the flow as easy as possible.

“I want to caution the entire campus at this point to be frugal in our spending in every way through the remaining of the year,” he said. “Most budget cuts will not largely affect the way we operate. It will be tough, but we are going to try to lessen this impact as much as possible.”

Budget cuts are tough in any position, Finks said. But though it can be difficult, he said he remains in the positive about the situation.

“Each year as we get tighter and tighter… there’s only so much left to cut,” he said. “And while this certainly is a serious matter, it’s not one that will defeat us. In spite of our current environment, I remain quite optimistic… actually entirely optimistic about our future.”

Finks said he has many reasons to be optimistic. He also added that the roughly $850,000 cuts will become $1.7 million in savings next year. Praising the faculty and staff, the spirit of AU and the support from donors, Finks closed with many opportunities to not be overwhelmed and concerned with the budget cuts.

“We have great leadership right now in faculty administration who are working collaboratively to make us stronger and lead us in the future,” he said. “We have a Board of Trustees who believe in us.”

Finks said that along with cutting positions and programs, they are spending less in other small places as well. He said less foliage will be purchased for the campus, and small raises in tuition and room and board will also take place.

“A modest increase in tuition and room and board should allow us to provide a modest raise for everyone next year,” he said.

Finks also said that donors are also helping him stay optimistic. He said that donors are more than willing to help AU through this tough time.

“We are seeing great responses from appeal to the Ashland fund and have already surpassed the total received last year in just the first five months of this year,” he said.

Lastly, Finks promised campus that he will do his best to uphold Ashland University through this small bump in the road. Working alongside his qualified staff, Finks said he has no doubt they can make this work.

“I pledge to you that I will work long and hard, along with a competent cabinet, along with great faculty and leadership to ensure our success, and together we will move boldly into the future.”