A look at Ashland University’s student political groups

By Melanie Sudar

Left-sided leaders promote their views on campus

President Denzel Palmer said the group has been very involved throughout the Ashland community in order to promote their candidate. Palmer is a business administration major, with a minor in political science. Between all the activities they participate in, he said they have been very busy.

“Firstly, we work with the campaign,” he said. “That’s our number one duty, which is doing whatever they need us to do. We work call banking – we call homes of local Ashland residents and ask them who they’re going to be supporting for President. And we do canvasing, which is going door to door in the Ashland resident area and we also have events on special days.”

Palmer said the group had three debate-watching parties, and watched the Democratic Convention together. The group also participated in a crossfire debate with the College Republicans, which Palmer said he was pleased with.

There are roughly 15 members in the Young Democrats. One of them, junior integrated math major Kate Fleming, just became a member this year, but said she enjoys it.

“I only have one year left,” she said. “But I will definitely stay involved.”

Fleming and Palmer said that Young Democrats has also been responsible for registering voters on campus.

“We registered over 400 new voters,” Palmer said.

Because this year is an election year, Palmer said it is very different for the group. Last year wasn’t as busy, but there were still small tasks to be completed.

“Last year we didn’t really have much to do,” he said. “The only thing we could do last year was volunteer for local Congress people.”

Palmer also said that Ashland University’s support has grown since last year as well. This year, many more things were possible.

“This year it’s been a complete change,” he said. “We renewed the tradition of a crossfire debate. This year we were able to get the funds and get T-shirts for all of our members and volunteers.”

Palmer added that Young Democrats also has local Ashland volunteers that help and support the group.

Fleming said that she did some preparation for the election herself aside from helping the Young Democrats. Although the group registered voters and helped campaign, among many other things, she did other work.

“I watched the debates, and I visited President Obama and Mitt Romney’s websites and read their plans if elected,” she said. She said that this election is important because of how it will affect her life.

Although Young Democrats has been doing a lot this semester, Palmer said they still plan to be involved on campus after the election.

“We’re going to find ways to serve the Ashland community,” he said.

Fleming said her favorite part about being in Young Democrats is the impact that such a small group can make. She said she enjoys the relationships she’s made, as well as the jobs she has accomplished.

“[I love] knowing that I made a difference in the campaign this year,” she said. “Also, the great people involved with the group. We are a smaller organization, but the members are so friendly and welcoming to everyone.”

Right-winged renegades

Senior History and Political Science major Alex Jones has been involved with College Republicans since his freshman year on campus. Now, four years later, he serves as their president.

Jones said he became involved with College Republicans because of their role on campus. Being an Ashbrook scholar, he joined his friends and fell in love with the program.

“I just went to a meeting one night,” he said. “And have been going ever since.”

Jones said that they group has been booking speakers and guests all semester, and finding the right person can be difficult at times. He said that because this is an election year, it’s important to have appropriate speakers.

“Especially in an election year like this, it’s a cross between getting quality speakers in to kind of educate some of the kids in the program as to what being a Republican is,” he said. “And then also crossing that with campaigning for Republicans.”

Jones said College Republicans try to be very involved on campus. Between debates, and public events, the group stays busy.

“We have meetings and bring in speakers – it’s not just [College Republican members]; it’s open to the public,” he said. “We’ve gone out door to door all this past semester, trying to help out local candidates and national candidates.”

Sophomore September Long has also been involved with College Republicans since her freshman year. She said she became part of the group because of her past interest with politics.

“I have always been involved with politics,” she said. “So it was something I knew I wanted to be involved with.”

Long agreed with Jones and said that she has been busy due to the election year. She said that this year is important, and she has been doing her best to act as so.

“Well, it is in fact an important general election year,” she said. “So I have been very, very busy campaigning and being involved with College Republicans.”

Jones said this year is different because of the election, and because it doesn’t happen every year.

“An election of this magnitude only happens once in a college career,” he said. “Most people that are in the group now… won’t be around in 2016 when the next Presidential election is. [Years past] definitely pale in comparison to what we’ve done this year.”

Long said her favorite part about the election is being a part of a group that has the same interests as she does. She said she has enjoyed her time working with the group.

“My favorite part of College Republicans is knowing that there is a group of students on campus who feel the same way I do about politics and issues and who are eager to be involved,” she said. “ It has been a pleasure working with everyone.”

Jones said he is excited is to be a part of this election, and has enjoyed working with the College Republicans this year. He said that this year is important, and he is looking forward to being involved with it.

“Just the opportunity to do something very big and be a part of something very big is what makes something like 2012 really special,” he said.

Although Jones is hoping for a Republican win, he said that either way, America will still be America. He said that as long as American values still remain as they are, things will stay the same.

“Whoever comes out the victor in any of these races, America’s going to go forward,” he said. “America’s just going to keep doing what it’s done, no matter who’s President. Really, what’s more important than who’s elected… is American fortitude and the principles that have made America strong up until now. And as long as that survives, we’re going to be alright.”