AU seniors get scholarship

By Melanie Sudar

The Institute of Management Accountants recently awarded two Ashland University students with scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $2,500. Senior Grace Bowers received $2,500, and senior Bethany Horrell received $1,000.

The scholarship recipients are chosen based on academics, participation in the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA), and is awarded to accounting majors.

Bowers said she applied for the scholarship due to the opportunity.

“Our adviser, Dr. Kristine Parsons, encourages us to take advantage of the opportunities that IMA affords to us as members,” she said. “It is a way to show what we as students do for IMA and how we are involved in the organization, while also showcasing what we can contribute to IMA.”

Horrell agreed and said she applied due to her experience in IMA. She also said that this was the best time for her to apply.

“[IMA requires] you to have above a 3.0 and be involved with IMA,” she said. “So basically your junior year is the best time to apply because you’ll have as much experience as you can within IMA to talk about.”

Accounting Department Chair Dr. Kristine Parsons said both Horrell and Bowers deserved the scholarships. She said they are well prepared for a future job after graduation.

“As leaders in the IMA Student Chapter, Grace and Bethany have provided invaluable leadership to our student organization,” she said. “Their organizational and interpersonal skills will serve them well as they transition into the professional world.”

The IMA Scholarship was offered nationally to student members of the organization. Roughly ten students, including Bowers and Horrell, were awarded from over 4,000 students that the scholarship was made available to.

Bowers and Horrell were given the awards at the IMA Canton Chapter Student Night held Oct. 16 at Stark State College. They also attended the National IMA Student Leadership Conference in San Antonio, Texas held Nov. 1-3. The two recipients were also recognized at the National Conference over the summer in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Bowers said receiving this scholarship has only furthered her toward her future goal. She said that being involved in IMA has given her great experience.

“My goal is to eventually sit for the Certified Management Accountant exam in the next year or so because of what I have learned through IMA by being a part of this organization,” she said.