Record crowd for women brings the energy

It’s Monday night. Campus is practically empty. But Kates Gymnasium is roaring with excitement and thrill. Both Ashland University students and members of the community packed the gym as they watched the Eagles win their second straight regional title.

The team played in front of a record-setting crowd of 2,832 people that enthusiastically cheered on their Lady Eagles throughout the game.

Forty-five minutes before the contest, the fans had already filled a large part of the bleachers.

Many of the students in attendance had been following the team since last year’s historic season and provided continued support at countless games this year.

Excitement swirled around the gym as they discussed their predictions and thoughts on the team.

“It’s really awesome how far they have come,” Erynn Franks said. “There’s purple everywhere.”

Sophomore Kaitlyn McCreary agreed and said that AU’s student section is one of a kind.

“I don’t think that any other college has quite the uniqueness of our student section, so I think that we support them very well,” she said. “We all dress up and we all participate. It’s not just one or two students. We all get together and we all collectively do something to show our support and we all are there and have each other’s backs.”

Other fans expressed similar sentiments.

“I want the girls to win, so I’m here to cheer them on,” Peter Kobunski said.

He has been following the team and attending games this season.

McCreary said she came to the game because she wanted to support the girls, but also because she thinks they will win.

“I feel like they have played so many games and they’ve won just as many, expect for just one, so they know what they’re doing,” she said. “They’re ready and they’re hyped up and ready to go.”

Aside from the victories, the teamwork and spirit exhibited by the team distinctly resonates with many students.

Sally Trout indicated that the teamwork displayed by the Eagles has contributed towards their success.

“They work as a team and know what each other is thinking,” Trout said.

Junior Taylor Zorman agreed. She said the team is unique and their closeness contributes to their success as well.

“I think it’s just the way they work together and it’s not an individual team,” she said. “It’s an actual team. They work with each other and it’s not about themselves – it’s about working together as a team.”

Melisa Strausbaugh pointed out the players’ hardworking nature and ability to persevere through adversity this season after Kari Daugherty’s injury.

“It proved how talented they are,” Strausbaugh said.

Junior Beth Rosepal has only been to a few games this season, but said she still keeps up with the girls. Rosepal said she enjoys watching the girls play because of their talent and ambition.

“I’m excited to see the girls play their hearts out like they do at every game,” she said. “It’s always fun to see them play. The way they have so much energy and passion for the game is really fun.”

In addition to students, President Fred Finks showed his support at the game and is proud of the team’s accomplishments this season.

“I try to support all AU events—art, athletics, and anything that the students are involved in,” Finks said. “They’re incredible and a great group of individuals. They represent the university well.”

Finks was also pleased with the turnout of students who attended the game and the enthusiasm they displayed for the team.

“It’s electrifying,” Finks said of the atmosphere in the gym.

Rosepal agreed about the atmosphere. She said that the crowd brings energy because of the girls’ success, and that it is a great thing to be a part of.

“[There is] a lot of energy from the crowd especially because the girls bring it to the floor every game,” she said. “When you’re in the crowd you almost feel like you’re part of the team, too. That’s really fun.”

By game time, a sea of purple and gold engulfed the entire gym. While some people simply wore an AU t-shirt, others sported more extravagant spirit attire, including body suits, wigs and face paint. A collection of AU jerseys could also be seen throughout the bleachers.

Another group of fans had glitter cowboy hats in the school colors, hoping that the team would play in San Antonio again this year. Others showed their support for their favorite players by wearing personalized t-shirts and creating signs featuring the player’s name and number.

In addition to these signs, posters with phrases such as “Go Eagles” and “Eagle Time” permeated across the gym. A few groups of fans also made “AU” posters that they could hold up in the air when the cheerleaders did the “A-U” cheer.

From the opening tip, the student section was on their feet and remained standing for the entire game. They cheered enthusiastically for the Lady Eagles, clapping and tenaciously jumping up and down after an AU basket or a strong defensive play. In addition to the traditional chants of “AU” and “Let’s Go Eagles,” the fans focused their chants on Wayne State, saying “You can’t do that” and “Air ball, air ball” as the Warriors fell behind in the first half. An echo of boos even spread amongst the fans when Daugherty received a foul early in the game.

Support of the Lady Eagles remained throughout the game, and Zorman said she was very proud of the girls.

“They’re doing amazing; they’re playing really well,” she said. “Especially since the other team’s kind of throwing some ‘bows, being a little dirty. I like what I see – they’re giving it their all on the court.”

The atmosphere in the gym intensified when the momentum shifted and Wayne State gained the lead. On the other side of the gym, the small section of Wayne State fans began loudly cheering “defense, defense.” Although outnumbered, their fans, cheerleaders and students in the jazz band could be heard clearly from across the gym while holding numerous green and black signs.

This newfound energy from the Warrior fans was matched by the Eagles supporters, who intensified their own cheering efforts. As Ashland began mounting their comeback, the gym echoed with the fans chanting “Defense” and “Come on Eagles” in unison. At this crucial moment in the game, everyone in the gym was on their feet.

People clapped loudly, jumped up and down, high fived each other, and pumped their fists into the air as AU regained control of the game. The AU student section even did the “roller coaster” cheer, violently flinging their bodies from side to side. Other fans across the gym waved their yellow AU towels in the air. During timeouts, the noise from the fans drowned out the music blaring from the loudspeakers.

Students and alumni alike agreed that the girls played a really good game, and were very proud to have made it to San Antonio.

Sophomore Alison Biro said the team did a phenomenal job and pulled everything together in the end.

“I think we did really well,” she said. “Everyone pulled together as a team; we were making shots and we played really well on defense. I think they did really well. They deserve to be there.”

Biro also said she is proud of the student section, and that the student section should be as big as it was at every game.

“They deserve this many people there at their games,” she said. “They’ve done well all season and it was awesome.”

Alum Ryan Gilmer attended the game and participated in the student section. After graduating in 2006, Gilmer has been back to a few games this season, but said this game in particular was amazing.

“The gym’s full – it’s really awesome,” he said. “This is the way it should be. The girls have had a great year.”

As AU secured a solid lead in the final minutes, the students began chanting “San Antonio” and the gym erupted into cheers and claps upon the final whistle. After the trophy presentation, the players cut down the nets and gathered on the court with their family and friends, keeping their dream alive for a national title.

Gilmer said the success of the girls brings energy to campus, and everyone should be proud to be an Eagle.

“The girls are one of the best teams in school history, so they are definitely creating a lot of energy and support by how they are playing,” he said. “Go Eagles.”