Annual Freedom Ball returns to Ashland University on March 23 

A dance similar to prom takes place in Redwood Hall
Lauren Gulden

This past Saturday on March 23, the annual Freedom Ball was hosted by the College Republicans and College Democrats. The Freedom Ball is a two-hour long event that happens every spring semester. 

According to the President of College Democrats, Olivia Ortiz, “The freedom ball is the annual dance co-hosted by the College Democrats and Republicans to show political unity and have fun.”  

“Freedom Ball this year is a black-and-white theme, with games, music, and dancing for attendees,” said Ortiz.  

“The main planning tasks are choosing a theme, advertising the dance, selling tickets, and getting food and decorations” said President of the College Republicans, Claire Houchin.  

The atmosphere of the ball was revolving around the theme, black and white. Black tablecloths along with white centerpiece. The stage was covered with black and white balloons.  

During the dance, “There are snacks, raffle baskets, music, and every year we crown Lady Liberty and Mr. Freedom,” said Houchin.  

This year, Mr. Freedom was crowned to Robert Mouledoux and Lady Liberty was given to Adriene McManus. Both were ecstatic that they were voted by their peers to receive the title.  

The Freedom Ball was also a fun night for all the attendees. People could request songs, to dance the night away. Songs such as Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You by Frankie Valli and Party in the U.S.A by Miley Cyrus played.  

But what brought people to the dance floor was Cupid Shuffle by Cupid. Along with Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex and Macarena by Los Del Rio. Houchin was also explaining the importance of creating bonds with one another especially since they share a common interest in politics.  

“In the political space today, the parties are very divided. We want to show that even though we disagree with one another we can still collaborate and be friends with one another. This year, especially, we have tried to do many joint events.” 

Ortiz had a similar response, “We put on the Freedom Ball to promote unity between the two political parties. Plus, people can come and see that the people involved are super fun and we don’t always talk politics,” said Oritz. “We want to advertise that our clubs are social, as well as informative and engaging about the things we care about.” 

If you are interested in attending next year’s Freedom Ball, “you do not have to be a member of either club to attend the dance,” said Houchin. So, keep your eye out if you want to dress up and have a fun night in the spring semester.