Student usage of AI raising concerns at Ashland University

Students most commonly use AI to write papers for classes

Many universities across the country are seeing a rise in AI usage across the board. Students are using AI tools for schoolwork such as essays, multiple choice questions and other long form answering questions.  

AI stands for artificial intelligence. What it does is process various amounts of information in ways humans cannot keep up with.  

Students most commonly use AI to write papers for classes.  

Director of Admissions, Randy Spade, said, I have seen instances of students using generative AI to write papers. My colleagues report similar activity.” 

Recently, AU faculty have had concerns about the usage of AI tools within schoolwork.

“It worries me that students may come to rely on generative AI and will not develop the intellectual muscles needed to work in their academic disciplines or chosen careers,” said Spade.  

Not only are Spade and other educators worried about the students using AI, but they are also worried about their co-workers.

“My second concern is that professors will simply try and avoid AI and will fail to keep up with the latest powerful research tools in our disciplines and will not be preparing our students to enter the workplace.” 

As of recently, AI policies have made their way into syllabi. “Students must read the syllabi for their courses carefully. Professors will indicate if, when, and how it is appropriate to use generative AI tools in the course”, said Spade. Students need to be kept updated at the correct time if it is acceptable to use artificial intelligence tools.  

“If a student does not follow the instructions regarding AI for each course, they may violate AU’s Academic Integrity policy, and the consequences can be profound,” said Spade.  

More information can be found in AU’s policy catalog.