AU men’s and women’s tennis team bring in new graduate assistant

In Torres’ three years of college at Bluefield State University, he was a member of the men’s tennis team that went to the NCAA D2 national championship in 2022

Fabian David Avila Torres was hired as the new graduate assistant coach for the 2024 men’s and women’s tennis season by Head Coach Eric Gibson.  

Gibson said, “Fabian has already proven to be a great hire and I’m very happy to have him here at AU.” 

Torres was born in Medellin, Columbia, and started playing tennis at eight years old.  

“I had the chance to play many national and international tournaments, which gave me a lot of experience inside and outside the tennis court,” said Torres.  

Torres completed his undergraduate degree at Bluefield State University in West Virginia, with a bachelor’s degree in business administration. In Torres’ three years of college at Bluefield State University, he was a member of the men’s tennis team that went to the NCAA D2 national championship in 2022, Torres was ranked number 5 in his region in 2022 and 2023.  

After graduating, Torres decided to start his master’s degree at Union College in Kentucky, where he studied for one semester, and was supposed to play one more year of tennis.   

“I was looking for a new and better opportunity. When Coach Gibson started to look for a GA for the spring season, I got in contact with him to discuss the possibility of being the GA of the tennis team and doing my master’s program at Ashland University,” said Torres. 

Reid Opel, sophomore on the AU men’s tennis team said, “Our new GA Fabian has a lot of knowledge from playing collegiate tennis, so we are very happy to have him here.” 

“In my four years here in the U.S.A, Ashland is the most beautiful university I have ever attended. It also has a strong academic MBA program, and the opportunities and lifestyle I perceive here have great potential for me. Besides, I have realized how much I like to help the team, and the fact that all have been very welcoming and respectful makes a perfect combination,” said Torres.