AU women’s lacrosse Head Coach Lauren Simko looks to continue to lead Eagles

The Eagles will kickoff the season on Friday, Feb. 16 against Maryville University
The Eagles celebrate after scoring a goal against the Oilers in the 2023 season. (Retrieved from Ashland University Athletics)

Ashland University’s women’s lacrosse Head Coach Lauren Simko is looking forward to kicking off her third season for the Eagles in 2024.

Simko, who is a 2011 graduate of Lees-McRae (N.C.) College, is looking to continue to build up the Eagles’ program as they try to find success in the coming campaign.

At Lees-Mcrae (N.C.) College, she played lacrosse for four years and graduated with a Bachelor of Science, Physical Education, and Teacher License.

Before becoming the head coach for the Eagles, Simko was the assistant coach at Lake Erie where she kicked off her collegiate coaching while also earning her master’s in business administration. Additionally, she had head coaching experience at the University of Dallas and Cornell College.

Shortly before becoming an Eagle, Simko had also been the head coach of two other Great Midwest Athletic Conference (G-MAC) schools, first for Findlay University and then for Ursuline College. In 2021, when she was the head coach for Ursuline College, she earned the title of G-MAC Coach of the Year.  

Bringing such a decorated background to AU has allowed for her to adapt to a variety of coaching styles, which has helped the players under her to grow.

“Coach Simko is beneficial to our team because she is always pushing us to be the best players that we can be. Her coaching style is very involved and encouraging,” said sophomore defender Makenzie Gigli. “Coach Simko’s relationship with the team is great, she cares about every single player and treats us like we are her children, and if you ever need anything she will help you out in any way that she can.”  

Along with Gigli, another Eagle, 5th-year midfielder Madie Gash, appreciates the winning mentality that is produced by Simko.

“Coach [Simko] has a winning mentality, which I love,” said Gash. “She shows up to practice each day with a positive attitude and encourages and pushes us to be a strong and unified team and the best lacrosse players that we can be.”

Being the selfless person and leader Simko has become, she always puts the attention on the athletes first. In the coming campaign, she is excited to see the team grow and is grateful for the groundwork set by the prior seniors.

“They were determined to build this program into a successful one. I cannot thank them enough for everything they have done,” said Simko.